My First Portrait Shoot!

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
I had my first portrait shoot today. Although it WAS with my brother and his girlfriend, I was extremely nervous. The day was overcast and a bit dim, so I had to lighten the pictures up in photoshop. Some of them I added a soft focus effect because that was what they wanted.

All in all I'm pleased with the photos. I need to get more comfortable directing people and telling them how to pose, it was hard to do.

Any critiques would be great! :)

ba1.jpg

ba2.jpg

ba3.jpg

ba4.jpg

ba5.jpg

ba6.jpg

ba7.jpg

My favorites are #1 and #7. I also shot some on film (B&W), but won't have those done till Tuesday or so.

** I posted this in the Gallery too, but wanted to ask a couple questions here***

On days when it is overcast and there is no direct light source, are reflectors useless? I had a white board I was trying to use to bounce some light, but I dont think I was doing it right, because it wasn't helping.

Also, What type of flas would be best to use in this situation? What is a good "starter" off camera flash I could get to do portrait type stuff?

And I don't have anything to HOLD the reflectors, so it was hard to position.. what do you do in that situation?

Thanks for looking :)

Love #7! I also like #6 & 3. Excellent job for your first attempt!
Overcast days can be hard sometimes but other times give you the best light. I use a Canon 550 and that gives a good fill light. You can get stands for your reflectors, I have one for mine, or if you're using posterboard you should be able to rig something to hold it maybe an easel like you would display a framed photo. For a less expensive flash take a look at Sunpak flashes.

They look very comfortable and natural, you captured them very well. Very good job for your first time. The one thing I noticed was the dark shadows under & around their eyes. You had the right idea with a reflector...fill flash would also have worked quite well to lighten the shadows and give them some 'pop'.

It's usually best to use a flash that is dedicated to work with your camera...but you can get good results with any auto flash. Vivitar is another good brand name.

#3 works for me.

As for lighting, I personally would prefer to work on an overcast day for portraits. Rather than adding light, I would use a "subtractive" approach. You're starting with broad, soft light (which is good), but it's coming from everywhere. So, using a black panal, or overhead leaves or shelter... something natural is easy and best, block the unwanted light, leaving the desired lighting.

I find the poing on #3 very natural and believable. Nice job!

Have fun.

-Pete Christie

Most reactions

Back