My First Portraits (Part 1)...yes more to follow

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm joining the ranks of 1st portraits. You can tear me to shreds, but leave the model alone please.

I wish I knew how you guys brighten/lighten the eyes, but all I did was a bit of the usual - crop, levels, curves, etc.

1 - Okay, she was cold as a cucumber in the begining :neutral:....
DSC_5757_edited-2.jpg

2 - ...and one of the little doggie too :alien: (couldn't find a dog smilie).
DSC_5773_edited-1.jpg

3 - I think she felt prettier when I suggested a change of tops :lovey: ...
DSC_5833_edited-2.jpg

4 - ...and began to enjoy herself a bit more :wink: ...
DSC_5834_edited-2.jpg

5 - ...and I had to make a fart joke about my Dad to get her to actually laugh :lol:.
DSC_5837_edited-2.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always, your critiques are welcome.

She looks like a very interesting lady! The black top is a much better choice for the portraits (especially with the background you were using!). I had a quick play with one of them.

edit.jpg

I adjusted it using levels and a screen layer just over the eyes at about 30% opacity. There are a gazillion tutorials on doing eyes-- try Google for more than you ever wanted to know. If I want to 'pop' the eyes, I will generally select the eyes and do a screen layer and/or a color dodge layer and adjust the opacities as needed.

Thanks doobs, JenR and petey

JenR, thanks for the info. I will look it up. I like your enhancement. She's my Mom, so she is intersting me. She is a lovely lady regardless.

Shamelessly bumping to get more comments from the daytrippers. =)

it appears that you're only working with one light, but another light or even a reflector to lighten up the shadows on the opposite side of the light would help tremendously IMO (dont have a reflector, use an empty white pizza box)

Thanks sweet a.

I did have two lights. An SB-800 in front and a SB-600 behind, both on patients left. (Sorry, a term used at work, but I'm sure you get my drift). Also had the use of a reflector - opposite side. The setup may not (obviously) been the best, but I tried. For the first time out, I'm not kicking myself.

I was actually going for a shadowed side. Perhaps too shadowed.

Next one should be better.

Thanks for your comments.

Most reactions

Back