My First Post of Images

Yemme

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please be gentle and kind... :lol: Hope the images come out ok.. fingers crossed.

1. This is a building that I love. I liked the design in detail and shape. Close up.

Lion.jpg

slide -
Lionbuilding.jpg

2. This is a church bell tower but it was hard getting it in the frame entirely.

Church.jpg

slide -
Church.jpg

3. I love this statue…

Statue.jpg

Last edited:
Nice subjects but I think the composition and exposure could use some work. All the pictures are a little overexposed and the composition is a little dull. Try taking some more shots from different angles and fixing the exposure and you could have some good shots.

I agree, they're overexposed. You can really see it in the statue, all the highlights are burnt out. Looks like these were taken around mid-day, the shadows are really deep too. Try maybe later in the evening or early morning? Just suggestions though. :D

Thanks guys… really appreciate it. :hug::

Have a few questions if you can. If I get the green light in my viewfinder the um light meter that still means my image will come out overexposed? Am I supposed to use the gray scale card first? Never used it, hate it:sad anim:.

Thanks again :D

Well no, the light meter in your camera will give you a correct exposure... but it depends on what you're getting that exposure reading off of... for example say you metered your camera from the brightest area on that statue... then did another reading from the deep shadows of that same statue. You'd get two different meter readings. It comes to personal preference at that point and what you want exposed properly.

The problem with mid-day sun is that shadows are very deep and highlights are very bright. It makes it hard to grab a good exposure without some tools to help.

I see what you’re saying... I do move around a lot because I’m adjusting to take the image. My hands still haven’t memorized where there suppose to go. I keep mixing up zoom and f-stops. I also get blurry foreground images not the intended blurry background. Keep forgetting to refocus. So much to learn… Thanks hun, I’ll be practicing. I’ve learned so much since I’ve been here, this forum is great.

Also it depends on what type of metering your camera is set to.

If it's spot metering, it will only take into account the little spot in the middle of your viewfinder. It will be different if it's Average, Matrix, etc. You will want to check your manual to see what your default is.

I have just a small circle in the middle of the viewfinder. I don't know how to even check what your saying "Average, Matrix, etc. " but i'll give it a try:lol:. Thanks:)

I have just a small circle in the middle of the viewfinder. I don't know how to even check what your saying "Average, Matrix, etc. " but i'll give it a try:lol:. Thanks:)

Check your camera's manual; both Canon and Nikon manuals (and I'm sure Pentax, Sony, and others) give very good explanations of metering patterns, as well as suggestions on what modes to use in different situations.

Average, Matrix, Spot, etc. are all types of "Metering" (In other words, systems that meter or measure the amount of light and try to tell you the correct exposure)

Oh, I just saw you're shooting film - I started really getting into photography in the digital age so I'm not sure if you have a metering system like this or not...

EDIT - so I had to look it up; it looks like yours is Center-Weighted: http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Film-Camera/1689/FM10.html
Google or Wikipedia will be able to explain this better than I can.

Thanks MarcusM… I have a listing for my F-Stops and my shutter speeds depending on weather conditions using ISO 100. I guess that’s what you’re referring to. I’ll start bracketing my work and writing it down. I just didn’t think my images were overexposed, the last one I can see what you guys mean.

Also, if any of you know what’s the best way to develop my film. I get them developed as slides then I choose the ones that look decent. Then have those developed and then scan them. Do you think I should skip the slide step?

Also thank you tirediron. :)

Thanks MarcusM… I have a listing for my F-Stops and my shutter speeds depending on weather conditions using ISO 100. I guess that’s what you’re referring to.

Well, no, not really - I was referring to your "Metering System" which helps you determine what your aperture and shutter speed should be.

Here's Wikipedia's article about what I was referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metering_mode

:lol: One day Marcus, one day... I'll get it! I'm still taking baby steps..:lol:Thanx

Most reactions

Back