My First Post!! :-)

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Hey Everybody, I just found this site and am hooked already! After some initial problems getting an account to register, here I am! :D

This is a shot from the Indianapolis Ice minor league hockey game from this past weekend. I'm still quite the amateur photographer (teacher by day), but I'm hoping that when the current Ice photographer retires, I might be able to get my foot in the door.

11-01-2003%20038.jpg

Canon Digital Rebel (300D). The faceoff shot was taken from about 15 rows up with the 75-300 EF zoom lens.

I've had the camera for about 3 weeks now and am absolutely in love with it. I came from a Minolta DiMage 7i, which gave pretty good results, but was crap for sports stuff (slow autofocus). The Canon's autofocus is almost instantaneous.

Welcome! I don't really care for sports, but the second shot of the net is a great abstract. :)

You've really sold me on the Canon 10D now since the Rebel is the lower cost version of it, those pics are so sharp and bright it's unreal.
I've also made a note of the lens too.

mrsid99 said:
You've really sold me on the Canon 10D now since the Rebel is the lower cost version of it, those pics are so sharp and bright it's unreal.
I've also made a note of the lens too.

As far as I know, there are very few differences between the 10D and the 300D (which is the rebel). Burst mode has a couple extra frames, there are more autofocus points, etc.

The lens I was using for most of those hockey shots (except the more WA ones) was a $200 75-300mm EF lens from Best Buy. The WA shots were with the 18-55mm that comes in the Rebel kit.

What I love about this camera (actually it's a case of what's not to love?!) is the color and sharpness, as you mentioned. All those shots are totally unretouched. The Minolta DiMage 7i I had been shooting needed retouching and levels balancing on nearly every freakin frame. Talk about a PITA! With the Canon there's none of that--it's just shoot, download, and print.

Hi again Shark and before I forget this time welcome aboard!
Thanks for the info' on the camera, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
I'm also interested in your reef tank having dabbled with saltwater tanks over the years and I've managed to keep some of the easier fish, such as damsels, for several years but eventually they all degrade and the occupants die.
How long has your tank been set up and what filtration system are you using?

mrsid99 said:
Hi again Shark and before I forget this time welcome aboard!
Thanks for the info' on the camera, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
I'm also interested in your reef tank having dabbled with saltwater tanks over the years and I've managed to keep some of the easier fish, such as damsels, for several years but eventually they all degrade and the occupants die.
How long has your tank been set up and what filtration system are you using?

Thanks for the welcome. I've kept salt tanks for about 10 years or so now. My current system is a 130 gallon. It's been up since this past summer, but really that's a bit misleading, as I just moved everything from the 75 gallon to the 130 gallon. That had been up for several years. My pride and joy is a gigantea sp. anemone and mated pair of maroon clownfish. The filtration I'm running is a DSB (deep sand bed) in a refugium (tank beneath the main tank that has very low water flow and a super deep sandbed), along with a big protein skimmer. It's the current 'in' thing to do in SW aquariums, and basically makes the tank very low maintenance. I've only got a few corals in there at the moment, but I'm hoping to add something new this weekend when I get paid. :D

I started another thread with some photos from the tank.

Most reactions

Back