My first Press assignment-KKK

aprilraven said:
i think the scariest one...the kkk guy standing with the others...#7 i think...and they are all laughing...the older woman is waving.. like its a parade...the show of the big guys arm around the cloaked figure...and the complete lack of humility or guilt at what they represent... that should scare everyone...

I agree totally. They're flaunting their easy going malice and viscious beliefs right in front of everyone's faces daring them to do anything. They don't look like the brightest people, that's for sure, which makes the situation even worse.

These are really awsome pictures! I never knew the KKK still existed! I don't know if we have any gangs here in Canada, but that's just a little weird. I've always seen them in the movies. They've done a lot of horrible things back then. What exactly do they do now? I'm pretty sure the state or town who supports them doesn't let them burn colored people on a cross or hang them. I guess the KKK would have a lot to hate now that North America is becoming more diverse. (Or i guess even less diverse, if there are still people like that around.) And i guess too that they have a right to opinions and beliefs, just like people do when they go to church or something. But it would be cruel if they were allowed to do anything about their beliefs or push them upon others, especially those of different color or race. I bet the whole KKK gathering was just them sitting around in a room spitting out racial views to each other. Laws today don't let them do much of anything else! (Thank god.)

Armstror said:
These are really awsome pictures! I never knew the KKK still existed! I don't know if we have any gangs here in Canada, but that's just a little weird. I've always seen them in the movies. They've done a lot of horrible things back then. What exactly do they do now? I'm pretty sure the state or town who supports them doesn't let them burn colored people on a cross or hang them. I guess the KKK would have a lot to hate now that North America is becoming more diverse. (Or i guess even less diverse, if there are still people like that around.) And i guess too that they have a right to opinions and beliefs, just like people do when they go to church or something. But it would be cruel if they were allowed to do anything about their beliefs or push them upon others, especially those of different color or race. I bet the whole KKK gathering was just them sitting around in a room spitting out racial views to each other. Laws today don't let them do much of anything else! (Thank god.)

And what makes you think they obey the law?

And what makes you think they obey the law?

Well i didn't think of that. Good point though. I guess i wouldn't know. But if they didn't obey the law, would the town still be hosting them? I mean, obviously it seems as if there are different races living in town (or maybe out of town) that would have a problem with it, or become would-be targets for KKK crimes (other than verbal abuse). If the town decided to allow the KKK in knowing that they'd be doing some pretty bad things to the people then i'm pretty sure a lot of folks are gunna be in trouble. Probably won't know until something happens though i guess...

Armstror said:
Well i didn't think of that. Good point though. I guess i wouldn't know. But if they didn't obey the law, would the town still be hosting them? I mean, obviously it seems as if there are different races living in town (or maybe out of town) that would have a problem with it, or become would-be targets for KKK crimes (other than verbal abuse). If the town decided to allow the KKK in knowing that they'd be doing some pretty bad things to the people then i'm pretty sure a lot of folks are gunna be in trouble. Probably won't know until something happens though i guess...

Holding the rally itself isn't against the law...and they can't punish a person for something that has not been done yet. I wouldn't doubt that people try to discourage the rallies from happening, but they can't forbid it. If they did, they would be denying the constitutional right to freedom of speech. And just because something is offensive to many, doesn't make it against the law, unfortunately. And I'm sure the illeagal things the KKK does aren't generally done at the rallys, where there are witnesses and cops everywhere. Even stupid people like the Klan SHOULD know better than that.

elsaspet said:
I'm still captioning. That is the hardest part! I never know what to write! Are you a PJ? Can you give me some caption tips????!!!

No I am not a PJ, the few I remotely know are all sports photographers so caption writing depends on their knowledge sports and the players. The problem is that you need information on the player/people. And that requests talking with people at the event. IMO it is very hard to start a conversations with unfamiliar people, that maybe the only way to get good info. Personally, do not think I could do it, but wish I could.:thumbup:

Jeff Canes said:
The problem is that you need information on the player/people. And that requests talking with people at the event.

you're absolutely right! in order to convey a message to the public, you more than likely need to caption the image....so as a PJ, you will find yourself interviewing more than shooting at times. many news centers send out a photographer and anchor to get a story, sometimes this approach gets fumbled because one is focusing on a story in text while the other is capturing images that do not necessarily coincide. a PJ, working independent, has the ability/luxury of compiling a powerful punch that will hit hard to its viewers/readers.

i once was a bit standoffish about getting up in ppl's faces, shooting and talking. no more; these ppl assemble for a reason and your being there helps the cause tenfold...they know this! i have shot several protests here in DC and all participants are more than happy to be photographed and much happier to talk about it. (at times you won't be able to shut them up) step-in and get the story.....you'll be more effective have an added punch for your effort! otherwise, you'll be assuming.....and you don't wanna print assumptions!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back