My first real film print ever...(Guitar shot)

David A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a digital image just like this that I have posted but I liked it so much that I went back and shot it in film. I think it was at 3/10" at f/3.3 and ISO 400. The light was really low...I think it came out well. The print looks alot better in person. I just scanned this on my home scanner...

When I put it on the enlarger...I think it was at 5" at f/8 at about a foot and a half of distance...

I really have come to appreciate how much work it takes into developing and processing your own film. I love it now. :thumbup:

(Also, I did a test strip before the actual print just to make sure I got the best results...)

Please comment on anything and everything...I am always open to anything you guys have to say. :D

You did a great job here according to my admittedly limited knowledge about the work in the darkroom. It is too long ago for me to really remember what I was allowed to observe the couple of times I was with my sister and/or uncle in their darkroom - plus I was never allowed to make my own prints. :(

But the process of making ones own prints alone is worth trying, that much I know and could witness and also enjoy!

I am sure this one looks better in print than scanned and posted. The only little thing that distracts me much, though, is the white spot in the background. The rest is good work with DOF (a bit shallow, but probably no more to be had with the light situation) and the light! :thumbsup:

i like the tones and DOF in this.

show me a guitar that's played often with no dust ;) adds character IMO

my nicpic - the large white area at the top keeps pulling my eyes away from the subject.

Sounds like you did everything right. :) Your print looks great!

I would agree, compositionally, it would be nice not to see the white spot which looks like your lamp...? I could be wrong. It probably shows clearer on the actual print.

You should break out another roll and try setting up your guitar in several ways. These kinds of shots always look cool. :thumbup:

Thanks for all of the feedback...

The white spot is a small divided lip on the backboard of my bed that was letting direct light from the lamp through, and yes, I do agree it is taking away from the subject... :-(

As for the guitar and its dust...I haven't picked up the electric guitar to play it in probably over 3 months now (with the exception of picking it up to take this shot) :lol: .

Anyway, I love acoustic...it's what I listen to so it's what I play. James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Jack Johnson...anything acoustic and easy to sing along to. :thumbup:

Try Lennon and McCartney, too....you're on a very good path. :sillysmi:

Hope you try this shot again, seriously, it has a lot of potential! :)

terri said:
Try Lennon and McCartney, too....you're on a very good path. :sillysmi:

Hope you try this shot again, seriously, it has a lot of potential! :)

Thanks...I'm gonna look them up...

As for the picture...I would like to try it again but maybe the next time cover the lamp with a light sheet and soften the light. Also, I'd probably somehow fill in that white area...anyway, thanks for the comments...don't be shy to post up some more. :mrgreen:

Thanks...I'm gonna look them up...
:lol: You do that, young man. They were in this little band, wayyyy back in the 60's. They've been going in and out of style. But they're guaranteed to raise a smile.

Try to position the guitar somewhere else to avoid that light altogether. :thumbup: It shouldn't be hard to prop it up somewhere. Good luck! :)

terri said:
:lol: You do that, young man. They were in this little band, wayyyy back in the 60's. They've been going in and out of style. But they're guaranteed to raise a smile.

Try to position the guitar somewhere else to avoid that light altogether. :thumbup: It shouldn't be hard to prop it up somewhere. Good luck! :)

WAIT! You are talking about John Lennon and Sir Paul McCartney...AHHHH...

I am terribly sorry. No, they have definitely not gone out of style. You can find them in my cd case 8 days a week. ;)

Yeah, I love everything from the 60's...but The Beatles really hold a special place in my heart. I have alot of their old LPs from my dad's collection and I love listening to them on the turntable. Just something about the way it sounds.

I thought these were the names of some sort of photography style...guess I never made the connection. My mistake. :D

:hail: :hail: :hail: The Beatles

You're even smarter than I thought you were. :cheer: Perfect response!

I was having a bit of fun with you there - just glad you know what's good. :lol:

I would have to agree that the white blotch at the top is distracting. I love B&W and this is no exception. I think the grain and DOF used is perfect. Keep up the good work

uberben said:
I would have to agree that the white blotch at the top is distracting. I love B&W and this is no exception. I think the grain and DOF used is perfect. Keep up the good work

Thanks Ben...I'm beginning to like the grainy look that B&W film naturally brings out. :)

Most reactions

Back