MY first "REVERSE-MACROS"

Monster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I've been trying some reverse macroing with my 400d and kit lens.
picture0030.jpg

picture155s.jpg

Would the canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens be able to achieve these kinds of maginfications without the bluring?
picture013s.jpg

That's a bullseye, btw

I really enjoy reverse macros. :) I'm intrigued by the 3rd, but I think (at least for me) I'd crop down more to the upper right corner.

Hahah I love the second one.

seemoo: reverse macros involve reversing (turning around) a lens, so the front touches the body and you're looking out through the back of the lens. This causes the lens to effectively act like a macro lens. I'm sure someone can elaborate more. I'm tired.
;-)

Would the canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens be able to achieve these kinds of maginfications without the bluring?

With an extension tube, yes. More DOF to boot too. But it's no fun if you can't do some ghetto photography. Nice work on the reverse lens.

Did you make some permanent fixture like a filter glued to a sensor cover, or two filters glued together backwards?

Thanks for the comments fellas.

I like that second one too. It's interesting to see how many different expressions she can make.

Did you make some permanent fixture like a filter glued to a sensor cover, or two filters glued together backwards?

Nah, I didn't. I'm not even so sure what a filter or a sensor cover IS..
I just removed the lens, turned it round, held it in place, and moved in close to the subject :sexywink:

Monster check out this:

DSC_1744.jpg

The one on the left is the cover for sensor / camera. It is what gets mounted on your camera where you don't have lens attached, it has the same thread as the back of the lens (Fmount for Nikon). The one to the right is a filter. (UV 52mm in this case). If you don't know what that is I suggest you research and buy one. A UV filter is standard amongst pretty much everyone on this forum since it does nothing and protects the front of the lens in the process.

I think you can see where I am going with this. Cut out the center of the cover, and glue the filter thread up to the outside. What you then have is something with a lens thread on one side, and a camera thread on the other. Can be made for <$15. Then you can simply screw your lens into the filter/cover and screw the cover into the camera :)

That way you can use both hands to keep the camera steady, it is easier to get the picture in focus since the lens doesn't move independently from the camera, and you are also preventing dust getting into the sensor.

OOhh... Sounds like a good idea

Can you buy these little makeshift reverse macro mounts pre-assembled from somewhere? I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to DIY. I once almost blinded myself in one eye while changing a lightbulb.

Do you think there'd be any on ebay? What would people list them as I wonder...

edit

nvm I've bought one on ebay :)

Btw, are there any other relatively-cheap lenses for my 400d that're better for reverse macroing than the 18-55 canon kit lens? (better in terms of how close you can get and/or better in terms of the depth of field).

Forget that last question. The kit lens is 18-55 kit lens is fine.

Just wondering though, is it possible to use reverse macro AND an extention tube at the same time? As in, attatch your reversing mount to the body, attatch your extension tube to the mount, then attatch your reversed lens to the other end of the tube?? ..Where would I find such an extension tube?

Or maybe I wouldn't need the little reverse mount but just a reversing extension tube..

Most reactions

Back