my first roll!! (overshare)

The real speed of that film is about ISO 1000, but is made to be pushed. If X700 doesn't go to ISO 3200 (I don't remember it at the moment ) but you want to shoot at that speed set the ISO ring to 1600 as you did and then turn the compensation ring to -1 which would automatically cut the exposure by 1 stop from the value established for ISO 1600 and you set. Dont forget to tell the lab what ISO you were shooting at.
The x700 only goes to 1600. So what do you mean the 'real speed' of the film is 1000?...best images produced when set to 1000? I did not turn the compensation ring :/ what will that do exactly to the photos. Will it change the metering? If I had compensated to -1 how would these photos look different?

Now don't these have a better feel than digital
You know, they really do. Film very much 'fits' my style of shooting. And I love that I have all these prints of my kids! I never print snapshots; rarely print anything actually! So yes, it is so nice having an actual photograph :)

I think I will try to shoot one roll a month, if nothing else if forces me to print photos! Funny story, I looked at the back of my camera after every shot, and every shot I cursed myself. My husband looked at me like I was nuts :lol:

Now, we just have to get you into a darkroom and I guarantee the first time you see one of your images emerge from the developer, no one will ever see you again in the light...:lol:

With most color negative film, generous exposure is often considered to be a positive. (Sorry for the pun! It's early!) "down-rating" one's ISO value by a full stop, ie, ISO 3,200 film down-rated to an Exposure Index of 1,600 would quite often tend to produce very good results. Kodak's old VPS film was spec'd at ISO 160, but was almost universally metered and exposed using an E.I. of 100. Doing this tends to give a generous exposure, which ensures shadow detail through ample exposure, and many people felt that down-rating color negative film was a great standard operating procedure much of the time. With B&W films, using Exposure Indexes that are deliberately varied from the official ISO rating is a pretty common working method. I am not familiar with the specific film you used, but my experience has been that down-rating a negative film usually does not hurt the image quality--and may very often improve it!

Yeah--prints of one's images...what a concept, right? Pretty cool,really.

The x700 only goes to 1600.
Yes. Now you know how to set camera for higher ISO than that.
So what do you mean the 'real speed' of the film is 1000?...best images produced when set to 1000? I did not turn the compensation ring :/ what will that do exactly to the photos. Will it change the metering? If I had compensated to -1 how would these photos look different?
Yes Delta 3200 is not of ISO 3200 :
Ilford Delta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Setting camera at ISO 1600 is to over exposure that film by about 2/3 of a stop. What down-rating does Derrel explained a bit, yeah...it's a witch craft.

The real speed of that film is about ISO 1000, but is made to be pushed. If X700 doesn't go to ISO 3200 (I don't remember it at the moment ) but you want to shoot at that speed set the ISO ring to 1600 as you did and then turn the compensation ring to -1 which would automatically cut the exposure by 1 stop from the value established for ISO 1600 and you set. Dont forget to tell the lab what ISO you were shooting at.
The x700 only goes to 1600. So what do you mean the 'real speed' of the film is 1000?...best images produced when set to 1000? I did not turn the compensation ring :/ what will that do exactly to the photos. Will it change the metering? If I had compensated to -1 how would these photos look different?

Now don't these have a better feel than digital
You know, they really do. Film very much 'fits' my style of shooting. And I love that I have all these prints of my kids! I never print snapshots; rarely print anything actually! So yes, it is so nice having an actual photograph :)

I think I will try to shoot one roll a month, if nothing else if forces me to print photos! Funny story, I looked at the back of my camera after every shot, and every shot I cursed myself. My husband looked at me like I was nuts :lol:
Nice images! For just trying something on a whim like this, you did a great job. I think shooting film agrees with you. ;) Great shots of the kids, too! And now you have several precious negatives that you will literally have the rest of your life, and theirs. If you do shoot a roll a month, you might want to buy some archival 35mm film sleeves and keep them in a hard notebook. That's all you need to do to keep them safe. And you have the option of getting prints made whenever you want.

Keep up the great work! :thumbup:

The negative archive is one of the best things with shooting film, imo! I have hundreds of edited shots on my computer, and some I really, really like, but I fear I'll never print them! With the negs in folders in the darkroom, I have them forever. No harddrive crashing and losing tons of shots. Your negs are with you, always.

I dare say many digital photographers aren't really "fulfilling" their role as "image creators". The image isn't done until it's printed, and how many, truly, print all their best work? Professionals, perhaps, but not all are in it for making money. Getting the negs printed is the final step, but the chance your "middle steps" will be destroyed, is much smaller than having your files stored and double stored and maybe even triple stored on harddrives!

:)

Really lovley photos!!They have nice detail, contrast, sharpness and for manual focus i think they are great!

Beautiful @pagiew!!! Love film! There's so much soul in the picture (rather than just slapping a photoshop action on a picture). This is real black and white. Ilford 3200 is the one that I use a lot as well. Good work on over-exposing it by 1 stop. Looks amazing ;)

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a longtime film photographer and shoot B&W a good bit - and have spent my share of time as a darkroom rat. I agree, if you use archivally safe materials to preserve your negatives and prints, they might still be around in a hundred years, that seems to be a photographic medium that so far has lasted a long, long time.

You got some very nice photos. I usually use 100 or 400 speed film most of the time because I like less grainy photos, but it can be fun to try different types of film and see what works best in various lighting conditions etc. I sometimes if shooting in lower light as mentioned stay with smaller prints and do enlargements with images I shot outdoors in better light. But when I shoot digitally and do my own prints, I find that either way, basically a nice sharp image will make for the best quality enlargements.

You seem to have done well with focusing manually and with getting your camera set to get good exposures. Next time you take pictures you might think about your backgrounds and if everything you're seeing in your viewfinder is what you want in your picture (since with film, what you get in your viewfinder is what you get in your print).

Glad you enjoyed it - I like the quality and more hands-on experience of using film.

I am probably more excited than I should be about posting these photos. They are after all, merely snapshots of my kids...but they were done in film! And with MANUAL FOCUS! I was certain I would get back a roll of over/under exposed + blurry photos but they were actually pretty nice! I used 'ilford 3200' film set at 1600. I shot most at f2.8 some at f4. I used my dads old minolta from college and both a 35mm and 50mm. I feel like a real photographer now...I can do really do this :D

without further ado

1) this one is the sharpest...it is pretty dang sharp on print but not so much on the digital.
26230025.jpg

2)
26230009.jpg

3)
26230004.jpg

4)
26230021.jpg

5)
26230024.jpg

6)

26230017.jpg

7)
26230036.jpg

8)
26230015.jpg

That's all are great capture. The first one is the sharpest seeing much pretty honestly looking digital. Doggy is in great style with stunning shot. After all, all shots are looking cool !!!

Great to hear people getting a buzz out of film. Its what got me hooked and I regret selling all my film cameras a few years ago. I really must go back & do more 'soul' photography ;-)
Thanks for sharing & reminding me of what I'm missing!

Very very nice! I just started my film adventure myself and like you, I feel I am taking "real" photos. :)

Most reactions

Back