My first series

Zeitgeist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am posting these for critique here rather than the critique forum because they are a series and, I am hoping, will work better if viewed and commented upon as a series. I wandered into a cemetery, here in Durham, and was struck by the sadness of some of the older, neglected gravesites. This was especially true with some of the dead from the Civil War era, hence the name of the series: Twice Fallen Heroes. These are not meant as a political stqtement and many of the graves contain civilians and even children, but all imparted to me a sense of profound sadness. All of the shots have been photoshopped in one form or another. Please leave your comments and suggestions for improvements.

193TFH529.jpg

193TFH521.jpg

193TFH541.jpg

193TFH156.jpg

193TFH154.jpg

I'm actually going to move this into the general gallery where it is likely to get more views and responses. The themes section is more about setting up a theme for everyone to go out and shoot.

I would have to say that the light looks very radical in them all... It makes it hard to focus on your subjects.
The grain in the first one is good but it's hard to tell what exactly they are.
The second one's light looks VERY dappled... and very hard to focus on anything.
The third photo should probably have been cropped closer to the flowers instead of having the background in there and the whole tomb.

#4 is right on!
Great job on that one!

#5 is great, I just think it's a little too soft here... and cropped a little too much off of the top(leave some room on the top of the flag)

Overall I think you did a great job!
Keep it up! and there is no shame in using PhotoShop! :thumbup::D

For me, I have to agree with Airic and Littleman on the first one. It seems too blurry.
In number 2 that little stone on the right keeps taking my eye away.
Number 3,4,and 5 are cool. I might have cropped number three a little, but the idea is really great, with the coloured flower. Excellent work Zeitgeist.

ok, i have no reason at all to critique..mainly because i am not a pro or in the category as these other guys...so my opinion aint worth zilch...

saying that... i have to say i just love these....especially the last one..but i'm southern..so looking at the last one, makes me get all teary...and wanna whistle dixie and salute...that is just a really great shot...

you gave "our" boys dignity...even in a cemetary that looks forgotten.....
thanks!

very dramatic, and well processed shots, I agree with Littleman and his critique, and I also am not worthy of further comment other then I like what you have done to bring this sad situation to the pubic eye, and sincerely hope that someone resolves this sad display of disrespect. This people gave their lives for what they believed in, and died.. sadly..

AIRIC said:
Very different. I really like 2 3 4, great work. 1 just seems to blured and 5 is just not doing it for me.

Eric
i agree with eric! in addition a question, did you use dodge brush to highlight certain objects on the first three?

i did not, The technique I used was to desaturate to greyscale and create a duplicate layer of the photo. Then I upped the contrast of the duplicate layer significantly and threw in a strong gaussian blur. Then I pulled back the opacity so the original layer showed through. This was all in an effort to give the photos ann "etherial" or "ghostly" look.

Most reactions

Back