My first Set up...do I have the bases covered?

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have always been interested in photography but just recently started to dive into the topic in terms of reading about technique and everything. I went ahead and ordered a couple items to get started out and wanted to see what everything thought or would suggest. I haven't started shooting yet, but kinda like the fact that I am forced to spend time reading instead of shooting, while I wait for my camera to arrive. Forces me to learn more before actually doing, as opposed to my normal method of just winging it. I have a background in the arts, drawing, writing, music, recording, so I think I will do decent. Here is what I have ordered so far.

-Canon XS SLR 10MP

- Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens

-Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro Lens for Canon EOS

-Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX Autofocus Lens

- Lowepro Slingshot 100

- 4GB class 6 SD card ( I have others and will probably by more rather quickly )

- Camera bag/case ( came free in the kit )

- Extra battery

- Corel Paintshop ultimate

- I am going to order the Sunpak Monopod soon. (unless someone suggests something better. )

Well, let me know what you guys thing. Thanks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/360349-REG/Tokina_ATX124AFPROC_12_24mm_f_4_AT_X_124AF.html

I would suggest a shoe-mount flash unit for your new d-slr. Modern,sophisticated flash units from the camera manufacturer have become quite expensive, so you might want to look at something like the Sigma line of AF-compatible flash units unless you're comfortable shelling out hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a Canon flash unit.

I'm not so sure about the need for a Sunpak monopod; I think you will easily be able to hand-hold the 70-300,without the need for a monopod. I think you might wish to get the camera and lenses and shoot with them for a couple of months, to see for yourself what your kit is lacking in; if the macro feature will not allow you to get close enough, a high-quality closeup filter for the 70-300 might be a good addition. If you want to do low-light work like nighttime shots, a decent tripod would be in order. And so on.

Enjoy the new gear when it arrives!

I have always been interested in photography but just recently started to dive into the topic in terms of reading about technique and everything. I went ahead and ordered a couple items to get started out and wanted to see what everything thought or would suggest. I haven't started shooting yet, but kinda like the fact that I am forced to spend time reading instead of shooting, while I wait for my camera to arrive. Forces me to learn more before actually doing, as opposed to my normal method of just winging it. I have a background in the arts, drawing, writing, music, recording, so I think I will do decent. Here is what I have ordered so far.

-Canon XS SLR 10MP

- Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens

-Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro Lens for Canon EOS

-Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX Autofocus Lens

- Lowepro Slingshot 100

- 4GB class 6 SD card ( I have others and will probably by more rather quickly )

- Camera bag/case ( came free in the kit )

- Extra battery

- Corel Paintshop ultimate

- I am going to order the Sunpak Monopod soon. (unless someone suggests something better. )

Well, let me know what you guys thing. Thanks.

I hate to tell you but you have barely dusted off home plate before the batter steps in. With the addition of an off camera flash and a tripod you will have a good start, but if you get serious about this, you will find that you have just scratched the surface. If anyone told you that photography was a cheap hobby, you need to find them and slap them upside the head a couple of times. :lol: :lmao:

Last edited:
Looks like a good start. I agree that tripod and flash are good ideas. I migh also suggest a Circular Polarizing filter. You're going to have fun with this. Don't let gryph upset you - you can do alot with what's on your list. Why Corel paintshop? Are you a student or faculty anywhere or do you have school age kids? If so, Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop are very reasonably priced at the educational discount rate.

Looks like a good start. I agree that tripod and flash are good ideas. I migh also suggest a Circular Polarizing filter. You're going to have fun with this. Don't let gryph upset you - you can do alot with what's on your list. Why Corel paintshop? Are you a student or faculty anywhere or do you have school age kids? If so, Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop are very reasonably priced at the educational discount rate.

Yes you can do a lot. :thumbup: Photography gear however is like Crack Cocaine, very addictive. :lmao:

I think when people start going on about photography being expensive...it's a load of poo poo really. I don't believe it has to be, people just fall into the abyss. Get a decent DSLR and some nice glass and keep it fun. Don't get obsessed.

Your kit will only take you so far...it's your skill, imagination, and love for what you do that will create amazing photos.

Presonal opinion.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I meant to add that I am looking into a flash and also some filters. Polarizing, skylight, just some random ones so that I have a good choice but will probably start with the polorizing. I have an interest in macro photography so I may look into a ring flash if I find the need. All that will come after I get started though.

I will wait on the monopod. I just liked how it folded up and can be used like a walking stick sort of when hiking. I live in Arizona so there is a lot of rough terrain and also lots of critters you can come into contact with. Might come in handy.

I know that this will get expensive if I really get into it.

I chose Corel mainly because it was cheaper and because I figured it would be a good platform to start with and master the basics of editing. If I find I am taking it extremely seriously I will shell out for Photoshop. I got the Corel for $49.99 though and think that will get me started.

Thanks again guys. Anymore advice is welcome. I will have to post my first few pics I take when I get started. My gear should be here by next weekend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back