My first SLR $1000 budget

john sherratt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Firstly i would like to say hello im new to the forum my first post now i look back was supid. Im looking at getting my first SLR im looking at either Canon or Nikon i have a $1000 budget. Im looking at the Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18.0MP or the Nikon D90 12.3MP or even the Nikon(D3100). Im looking for a camera that i can learn to use and learn all the functions and get into taking good pictures. The Canon has 18.0mp and the Nikon D90 has 12.3mp but they are about the same price i thought the more mp the more clear the picture? So is there much difference between the both im not botherd about the video on a camera i would not use it. Im just open for veiws on this from people who now what they are talking about and so i can buy my first SLR . Also any other camers in my $1000 budget that you may think would be a good .I have read reveiws and looked at them on the internet but just cant make up my mind. Thank you john

Megapixel count and quality are NOT directly proportional. Megapixel count is basically one of the sleeziest marketing ploys around. That's not to say that a high megapixel count is always bad (certainly not!), but sometimes manufacturers cram more megapixels onto the same sensor as one with less megapixels, which just results in larger but no BETTER images. Arguably, you could get the same results in such a situation by cropping the smaller megapixel photo. I'm not an expert on the why's and how's of megapixel count, so I'll just leave it at that. Don't read quite so much into it.

At the end of the September Nikon is expected to announce the D90 replacement (supposedly the D7000). If you can wait until that is released (and save up about $300 more) I would recommend that route, considering your already putting aside $1000 in your budget. The internal focus motor that will almost undoubtedly be in the D7000 body (and not the D3100 body) allows the use of AF-D lenses. There are many awesome deals on AF-D lenses out there that you can use on any Nikon, but only the camera bodies that have a focus motor inside of them can use the lenses' autofocus (NOTE: That's only AF-D lenses, AF-S lenses will work on anything). If you plan on ever even thinking about using the video feature it's not even a competition. Either get the D3100 if you can't wait or the D7000 if you can. Full 1080p video and video autofocus that actually works.

I'm a Nikon guy, so I can't tell you a darn thing about Canon and why you should or should not get one of their cameras. I love a lot of things about Canon's cameras that I wish Nikon would do, but there are also a few things on the Canons that I just flat out can't stand, and break the deal for me.

Last edited:
Nikon glass is famous and for the most part is the standard by which all others are measured.
Canon can use Nikon glass but Nikon don't use Canon. There is a reason for that and a clue which way a person should go.
"Canon cameras can use Nikon lenses, but Nikon cameras can't use Canon lenses."
Nikon vs. Canon

Furthermore:
"Most Nikon camera and lenses made since 1959 are compatible with each other...Canon flushed compatibility down the toilet in 1985 when it created a new and completely incompatible system of AF cameras and lenses called EOS. Nothing works together before or after the great divide of 1985."

Other than that it is probably a matter of user friendliness. Try to figure out the controls on both and see which one angers you the most. I love my Nikon D-90.

If this is important to you: I hear people declare that I have a great camera based only on the fact that they saw the name Nikon. I have never heard that proclaimed when a person saw the name Canon. Perhaps that is because Canon floods the point and shoot market and people find Canon to be "common"

If you can afford it, get the d90 over the d3100.

Do you have any friends with Canon or with Nikon buy what brand they have and share lens. Both are good its like a Chevy and a Ford what do you like best.

Your budget is close to what a D90 is with a kit lens here's an example Nikon D90 SLR Digital Camera Kit with Nikon 18-105mm VR 25448 -

As was said the D90 is scheduled to be replaced soon but the replacement may be a few hundred more - maybe not a big thing.

From what I've read on this forum in order to take advantage of the extra Megapixels is to have great lenses which for Canon is their L series.

My suggestion is to put both brands into your hands and try them out and whatever feels better to you - buy it. In the long run it doesn't matter whichever brand you choose.

Thank you for the good replys yes i can wait untill the end of september. And could spend the extra but then the D7000 is going to cost not far off the Canon 60D. So i would have another two camers to think about as i said before im new to SLR cameras so i just would like a good camera to get started. I could buy the new D7000 but do i really need it for my first SLR im not sure?

IF you think you're going to get into photography seriously, either professionally or as your main/major hobby, it is absolutely 100% worth it to go for the D7000. If not, you may just want to go ahead and grab the D3100. If you're going to go for the D90, I would just go ahead and spring for the D7000 instead. It will be a truly awesome camera for you, and will definitely last you for years upon years to come before you will need, or maybe even want, to upgrade.

Be aware that the D7000 is expected to be ANNOUNCED at Photokina in late September, not released. Honestly I would see that as a good thing though, because it gives you more time to save the extra ~$300.

Of course waiting for the D7000 is just what I would do. I'm not a Canon guy, I don't care for Canon, and that's why I've invested in Nikon. A whole heck of a lot of people love Canon and don't like Nikon, a whole heck of a lot of people like Nikon and don't like Canon, and a whole heck of a lot of people like both. Of course I'm going to push you toward Nikon, because it's what I know and what I love.

IF you think you're going to get into photography seriously, either professionally or as your main/major hobby, it is absolutely 100% worth it to go for the D7000. If not, you may just want to go ahead and grab the D3100. If you're going to go for the D90, I would just go ahead and spring for the D7000 instead. It will be a truly awesome camera for you, and will definitely last you for years upon years to come before you will need, or maybe even want, to upgrade.

Be aware that the D7000 is expected to be ANNOUNCED at Photokina in late September, not released. Honestly I would see that as a good thing though, because it gives you more time to save the extra ~$300.

Of course waiting for the D7000 is just what I would do. I'm not a Canon guy, I don't care for Canon, and that's why I've invested in Nikon. A whole heck of a lot of people love Canon and don't like Nikon, a whole heck of a lot of people like Nikon and don't like Canon, and a whole heck of a lot of people like both. Of course I'm going to push you toward Nikon, because it's what I know and what I love.

Thank you for the reply i think i am going to wait fot the D7000 im not in a rush.

Nikon glass is famous and for the most part is the standard by which all others are measured.
Canon can use Nikon glass but Nikon don't use Canon. There is a reason for that and a clue which way a person should go.
"Canon cameras can use Nikon lenses, but Nikon cameras can't use Canon lenses."
Nikon vs. Canon

Furthermore:

"Most Nikon camera and lenses made since 1959 are compatible with each other...Canon flushed compatibility down the toilet in 1985 when it created a new and completely incompatible system of AF cameras and lenses called EOS. Nothing works together before or after the great divide of 1985."​

Other than that it is probably a matter of user friendliness. Try to figure out the controls on both and see which one angers you the most. I love my Nikon D-90.​

If this is important to you: I hear people declare that I have a great camera based only on the fact that they saw the name Nikon. I have never heard that proclaimed when a person saw the name Canon. Perhaps that is because Canon floods the point and shoot market and people find Canon to be "common"​
Fanboi + KenRockwell links :lol:

What will those crazy kids on the intertubes think of next?!

Most reactions

Back