My first "studio"

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well im converting my back porch into a "studio". I always have been interested in studio work but never really looked into it.

So I'm getting some light and stands and umbrellas soon from amazon.com and am making backdrops out of some thick cloth because im on a tight budget and cant get a $100 for backgrounds.

This is going to document my experiences so I hope you dont mind me posting here.

So heres what I have to work with, its the largest part of my house that were not using for living.
3742932667_d8c9543594_b.jpg

so my first question is where/who can I get to shoot. I already asked my friends but they don't want to. But I looked at model mayhem but I'm not sure about contacting people there scene im only 15. So any advice about this studio stuff? Thanks!

For backdrops I use seamless paper rolls that are 9' wide and 12 yards long. I buy them from B&H and they cost $43 a roll plus shipping (I get free regular shipping from B&H with my NAPP membership). They come in many colors though I mostly use gray and white. White is only $40.

You may have a source nearby so you don't have to pay shipping charges.

Shooting in studio gives the advantage of having total control of the light. You have a lot of uncontrolled light there, but like you said, it's all you got. It's been said that, "necessity is the mother of invention".

If you shoot models from MM or friends you need to have a signed contract and model release from each person you photograph.

Last edited:
the easiest way i found is to just jerry rig a studio. i dont do studio work a lot so i didnt want to spend big bucks for stands, unbrellas, etc so heres what i did

hung a white bedsheet from a closet

got 4 of these lamps from my garage:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml82/82011a.jpg

clamp the lights to anything (i use wood clamps, my shelf, desk, boxes, etc)

works great!

yea im looking into a set like this:
Amazon.com: CowboyStudio New Photo Studio Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit Set- 2 7ft Stands, 1 Mini Stand and Carry Case: Camera & Photo

I'd love to have like 4 SB-600 (or some type of flashes) around but there like what $200 each? So I decided to go the constant light route.

but thanks for the back drop link! I heard cloth dosent always work with bright light. but I am going to set the backdrop along the back wall and I'll keep the shades open so hopefully it will decrease the shadows cast by the subject.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep, your studio 'gear' never shows up in the image so, whatever works.

Indeed. Duct tape snoots FTW! (My snoots are all covered in duct tape on the outside...same for my cardboard grids. :lol: )

yea im looking into a set like this:
Amazon.com: CowboyStudio New Photo Studio Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit Set- 2 7ft Stands, 1 Mini Stand and Carry Case: Camera & Photo

I'd love to have like 4 SB-600 (or some type of flashes) around but there like what $200 each? So I decided to go the constant light route.

but thanks for the back drop link! I heard cloth dosent always work with bright light. but I am going to set the backdrop along the back wall and I'll keep the shades open so hopefully it will decrease the shadows cast by the subject.
You'll be replacing those lights, they don't have enough umph, but they'll get you started. When you go to get more powerfull lights be sure they are daylight balanced.

No self respecting photographer uses 'duct tape', they use gaffers tape. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Duct tape is what I had man. It's hard to get gaffer's tape in this city, but I finally found a supplier here that sells it! :D

I'd recommend hot-shoe flashes, for the sake of portability. I here Alien Bees are good though, if you won't need to carry them around anywhere.

i went to home depot and got a couple 500W worklights with clamps and/or adjustable stands. works for me...only real beef is that they get HOT...so look out!
firesmiley12.gif

I'd recommend hot-shoe flashes, for the sake of portability. I here Alien Bees are good though, if you won't need to carry them around anywhere.

I would like flashes compared to constant light but I don't know of any besides the SB-series. And my budget is around the $100 mark. I looked into the Alien Bees and a set of three ( I think I would need that) were out of my price range.

If anyone knows of something in my range (if there is anything) portability docent matter to me so much.

UGH... I'm sorry, but I feel that "constant on" lights suck. The power is low and portability is severely curtailed. I love studio work, but I will tell you what... some of the BEST studios are outside your door. I found some old abandoned buildings with INCREDIBLE graffiti and shot there... there are some parks that are stunning.

3669219491_676eef1fd3.jpg

3513491063_3fa5f025fe.jpg

Older buildings, back yards, down town... old parts of town, by the water, lakes, cities, country sides, inside, outside... there is NO studio in the world that will give you the vibrant background of a setting sun.

Even at night around some campfires offer better "studio space"!

3714455487_37dd01d0af.jpg

3715242226_dd09c3e26c.jpg

Even professional studios are fun at first... but get boring REAL fast after the first 10 or so times. Then it is money wasted on backdrop stands, backdrops and other things that you will rarely, if ever, use again.

Get yourself 1 speedlight on a light stand, maybe some wireless triggers... read the strobist site for a week, then go out and REALLY get some nice shots, then later add one or two more speedlights. They are fast, portable and you can do much more with them than any "constant on" lighting... ever!

Last edited:
Thanks allot! I didn't know that one strobe would work! I always guesses that it would leave dark bad shadows. But if the above images are with only one that sounds good!

Thanks allot! I didn't know that one strobe would work! I always guesses that it would leave dark bad shadows. But if the above images are with only one that sounds good!

The top 2 are, the others are just examples of shots with some nice "backdrops"... lol

Visit the strobist flickr group... there you will see many shots taken with one light that will just blow you away. I use mostly 1-2 lights myself... no real need for more, not even in a studio... though in the more complex setups, I have used as many as 8 light sources.

Joe McNally often has shots so complex, he uses a dozen or more speedlights!

Shooting in studio gives the advantage of having total control of the light. You have a lot of uncontrolled light there, but like you said, it's all you got. It's been said that, "necessity is the mother of invention".

Why can one not have total control over the light outside? Granted, to be able to shoot in mid day sun AND control or overpower it takes powerful lighting... but it is possible and then no more difficult than shooting in a studio.

In fact, I find the constraints of shooting in a single room that always looks the same (no matter how many people you shoot)... boring and limiting.

Give me a simple alley way and I will be there all day taking shots in so many different ways and angles that you will think I was in 10 different locations, then I can move 1 street down or to the park across the street and do it all again! :D

The only factor there for me, is that I do not enjoy shooting in the rain. Some people do, and I know my camera could take it, this is just a personal choice for me. :)

Most reactions

Back