My first "studio"

Hey just another question. My dad wants me to shoot his wedding for him and I was wondering if the Vivitar would work on my D2H? I know the camera can trigger it but I was wondering if the flash would produce an even light indoors?

1. On camera flash SUCKS.

2. If you really care about your dad and want him to have pictures that have a quality level that will put a smile on his face for life... get him a better gift... a good professional wedding photographer.

A wedding is a very dynamic fast-paced event that happens ONCE and cannot be repeated. It is strongly recommended that a beginner NOT undertake this task. The results will be potentially disappointing for everyone, and you will not be doing right by your dad. The equipment demands of a wedding are extreme... the skill levels DEMANDED by a wedding... are extreme.

Just to put one last comment on here, I did tell my dad that weddings are extremely hard to shoot and that I strongly recommend that they get someone else. Even after that he still thinks that I should do it. So I'll tell him once more and If he still wants me to do it, I'll hope for the best.

I watched some videos on youtube and they were very helpful in how to setup one flash setups. And thanks for all this input!

You can say that you would happily assist a pro... or if it is your father... YOU get him the gift of a professional. ;) :)

you should get White Roman Blinds for your windows they make great SOFTBOXs with the sun that I see coming through. I used my Roman Blinds as softboxes on some of the pics on my site.

You can say that you would happily assist a pro... or if it is your father... YOU get him the gift of a professional. ;) :)

Yea I would more than happly assist a pro. but were on a pretty tight budget nowadays, but it never hurts to ask!

You guys are killing me. Like Redtipp, I was all prepared to buy the kit from cowboy studios, and now guys got me re-thinking everything... *sigh*
Cowboy Studios = low quality stuff. I wouldn't buy it unless it's the absolute best you can afford.

You guys are killing me. Like Redtipp, I was all prepared to buy the kit from cowboy studios, and now guys got me re-thinking everything... *sigh*
Cowboy Studios = low quality stuff. I wouldn't buy it unless it's the absolute best you can afford.

True, but (before Jerry convinced me to go flash) my thinking was, "a complete 3 light kit, with stands and umbrella for about 80$ - cheap yes, but damn good for beginners." I still think that, but I liked Jerry's idea more, and he very helpfully showed how cheap the off camera flash set up could be (tho granted, only one light).

I think the cowboy studio stuff is probably very good for people on budgets, or just want to try out studio lighting without breaking the bank. I read very good things about them before considering them.

oh dmitri did you get your order yet? Just wondering how you like it.

True, but (before Jerry convinced me to go flash) my thinking was, "a complete 3 light kit, with stands and umbrella for about 80$ - cheap yes, but damn good for beginners." I still think that, but I liked Jerry's idea more, and he very helpfully showed how cheap the off camera flash set up could be (tho granted, only one light).

I think the cowboy studio stuff is probably very good for people on budgets, or just want to try out studio lighting without breaking the bank. I read very good things about them before considering them.

You'll replace that stuff quick. Try this:

Strobist Starving Student SC1 Lighting Kit

i'd be nice to have it all in a kit but that flash's meter looks difficult to figure out. If There was one with a vivitar I'd get it.

Found this video on how to make cheap studio lights (hot lights). Looks very interesting, I may have to try it out some day.

Site keeps embedding the video instead of linking to it...
www. youtube.com/watch?v=Gov1t-IfvSY

i'd be nice to have it all in a kit but that flash's meter looks difficult to figure out. If There was one with a vivitar I'd get it.

They [MPEX] replaced the Vivitar 285VH in all there Strobist kits. It has nearly all the same features with a swivel. It's new, designed by the strobist, for the strobist.

Check out the Strobist website for a review.

Last edited:
They [MPEX] replaced the Vivitar 285VH in all there Strobist kits. It has nearly all the same features with a swivel. It's new, designed by the strobist, for the strobist.

Check out the Strobist website for a review.

I trust the Vivitar more than their "custom made for strobist by MPEX" flashes. Do you read all the posts with horror stories of it breaking and what not? Granted MPEX has great CS and replaces them... but if you get the 285, you get a rock solid piece of flash right out of the box.

Also, lets price this out:
Here is what the kit is from MPEX for $255:
Flash $90
Stand $15
Swivel $14
Umbrella $15
Gel kits $10 *1
Bongo ties $5 *2
Gaffer Tape $8 *2
Rosco DIY kit $10 *1
catcus V2s $30
Tripod case $20 *4

Done in parts, you can get it yourself for well under $200 and lose nothing. Now, look at this...

*1 to *4 notes:
1. I can DIY the things myself or buy a 20X26 sheet of Rosgo gel for $7, enough to make 20+ flash head gels. I can also get a Rosco sample pack for anything between free to 2 dollars and get TONS of gels that fit over the flash (extending the side with a little tape! ;) ). I bought 4 sample packs the last time I went to a local photography store, and several sheets of CTO and ND (-1 and -2 stops) gels. Enough to last me a lifetime.

2. not needed. Honestly... use tape, it does the same.

3. convenient, but really not really needed

3. A cereal box and some tape, some alumium foil and you have 100% the same thing, just for free.

4. Again, no case needed to carry ONE lightstand... come on!

Doing it my way costs you way less ($164):
Flash $90
Stand $15
Swivel $14
Umbrella $15
catcus V2s $30

Thats all you REALLY need to start off... with the exception of maybe the gel sample packs, which are available for next to nothing (free to 2 bucks, as I said before). Plus the 285 is clearly proven itself as a better work horse than the LumoPro.

I like MPEX, but they are filling that up with things you do not need and it is costing you way more than it should. Doing it my way... you nearly get a 2nd flash for free for the price of their kit!

Do people start to understand the advantage of doing the homework now? ;)
Do it... your wallet AND photography will thank you!

Last edited:
Yeah mine is coming to $220 some
Cactus V2-$30
Gel-$15
Swivel-$16
Umbrella-$13
Stand-$22
Vivitar, charger, batteries, diffuser-$114
Shipping-$17
------------------------
$227

BTW what about V4 of the cacti triggers, any better?

Most reactions

Back