my first submission for critique

Dracklord

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first decent attempt at a sky shot, just wondering if its as good as I think it is.
sky-over-buckley-after-stor.jpg

its an interesting sky, but if you get a chance to shoot something like this again, make sure there arent any distractions. For me at least the powerlines and pole draw my eye away from what you want us to focus on

I will try to keep the poles out of it next time. This was taken standing in the bed of a pick up truck with a minolta x-700 with a 50mm f2. I was trying to get some shots of a spark show that they have at the tractor show I was at. Other than the pole pretty good though?

Its a little bit dark and grainy. Also when your shooting the sky I would not go with such a low aperature. f2 seems real low for that type of shot. Use a tripod and try something around at least f7.

I like the powerlines. Especially low and sillouhetted as they are. It gives a gritty feel to it I can't quite describe in any other way at the moment. In particular, it gives me something to focus on... skyscapes are pretty, but I tend to find them boring. Clouds is clouds.

As a matter of fact, I'd like to see more of the power poles. The whole image, while nice and contrasty, seems a bit dark to me. There are no fully-bright highlights, and many blocked-up shadow areas. I'd try increasing exposure (or brightening in software), but by all means, keep the powerpole and the contrast.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back