robyn_fresh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
salenatrainedit.jpg

DSCF6247.jpg

DSCF6237.jpg

I dont like 1 cause why is the point of interest the train, and she looks like hella small, 2 and 3 overexposed, and 2 quite a bit of breast shot for a teenager.

I'm new to photography and even myself take no enjoyment in viewing these images however keep at it, you'll get better with time. I wish I could offer more sound advice but I've never been one to take portraits and whatnot.

1. Nobody lays across railroad tracks unless he/she is about to commit suicide. Obviously portrait photography of a pretty young lady does not suit this composition whatsoever. Very poor choice.

2&3 Direct sunlight cast shadows and is not flattering lighting for just about any type of photography. If this is the only time of day available for photography then look for a shaded area ie. under a porch, under a tree or building shadows....... Also use your camera's speedlight to add some fill light to help reduce shadows on your subjects face and depending on technique and quality of your light you could drop the ambient light a stop.

Whew! Tough room!

I know what you're going for, Robyn. But, yeah... you're not getting it.

1st view: I know the use of rails in portraiture has been quite popular with the converging lines and repetition of the ties. I find something terribly disturbing about a teen with his/her head on the tracks. And selective color was quite popular years ago, but now has limited use. This is not one of those times.

You'll want to do some reading about clothing in portraiture. Your selection here is doing nothing good for her. AND, if this was my daughter, I'd be knocking on your door wanting to know what the hell you were thinking when you made that second view.

I like the barn wood in three, but bring her out a bit... away from the wall.

I hope this is helpful.

-Pete

Well, -that- was helpful for someone asking for help. :er: Seriously if you're gonna post first you could at least -try- to say something to offer a way to keep them from being dreadful.

1. The girl is too small and should have the coloring IF you insist on selective coloring, not the train. Plus I don't like her head on the tracks it looks suicidey.

2. A little overexposed and a lotta too much boobies for a teenager, unless you mean like . . .19. Also you cut off her feet/leg.

3. Probably the best of the set.... I'd have moved her further away from the wall and lowered the F# and aperature so that it would not be overexposed and so that it would have a blurry background (wall). Because while the wall is interesting, we don't want it to be competing for the main interest with the girl.

Last edited:
1. Selective coloring hardly works, I didn't even notice the teenager in the shot b/c my eyes were immediately drawn to the train. You also clipped the top of the train off, while leaving WAAAAAAAY too much deadspace below.

2. You cut her foot off, could have gotten lower to offer different perspective, and her cleavage is a bit too much lol (although I Know you have no decision on what she wears lol)

3. Out of the three, its the one with most potential, but there are some blown out spots (on her chest and nose). In a shot like this, there needs to be a sharp focus on the eyes, something that'll make it look right through ya :)

1. The girl is too small and should have the coloring IF you insist on selective coloring, not the train. Plus I don't like her head on the tracks it looks suicidey.

2. A little overexposed and a lotta too much boobies for a teenager, unless you mean like . . .19. Also you cut off her feet/leg.

3. Probably the best of the set.... I'd have moved her further away from the wall and lowered the F# and aperature so that it would not be overexposed and so that it would have a blurry background (wall). Because while the wall is interesting, we don't want it to be competing for the main interest with the girl.

JINX!

For what it's worth....

1 - I guess when this was shot the idea seemed humorous or fun, but it doesn't really do much for me personally. Top of the train is cut off. I would have maybe tried some shots with her on the back of the train or along side of it.

2 - Be aware of cut off limbs.

3 - The "barn" looks like an interesting structure with weathered walls. Consider moving back and get some more of that wall with the full subject.

Edit: Looks like I took too long to write this. most was already covered....hehe

could I get some insight as to why they're dreadful?

Don't take what some posters say too literally. Anonymity often makes us be more obnoxious. You're right, though. The "dreadful" comment doesn't offer any help on how to improve.

If you look at other people's posts, Christie Photo is a sound photog and has offered sound advice. Stick with those types of comments and ignore those that aren't helpful.

My $.02 -
1. Ditto on the selective colouring. The danger is your point of focus and it doesn't really play up the scene anyway. I get the "damsel in distress" cliche. Work on a costume and props if this is what you are really after.

2. has a strong backlight putting her face in shadow. She needs a fill light - either a flash fill or a reflector. It could be because I have a teenage daughter, but I was a little "whoa" with the cleavage as well.

3. best shot of the three for me. Nice composition, but the highlights on the cheek and nose are blown out creating hot spots that steal attention from the eyes. Check your metering. Her hair creates a dark shadow and if you were spot metering there, the camera would compensate by over-exposing the shot.

ill say soemthing not insulting i think 1 would have been cool if she was doing something other then the akward angle she is in maybe sitting on the rail instead she looks all cramed up

1 think you have to know is you can let people here discourgae you just go back and try and try again

I did a quick crop and change of coloring (30 seconds) to just show you what we mean by the eye is immediately drawn to the train when it should be to the girl.

trainedit.jpg

I have seen some pictures from people that are just so bad and they post so many that I just can't pick wich ones to talk about. And they will be so bad that all I have is bad to say so I just keep my mouth shut.

:roll:

Why don't you give tips or pointers to help the person out?
I mean really. Why do you even bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back