My first tin type, wet plate collodion

Those are fantastic! I really want to learn this but I can't just yet, so I'm totally living vicariously through you. Such exciting work 'we' are doing! ;)
Are we bold enough to do a family portrait next?

I'm visiting some family next week at the beach, and I'm contemplating bringing my darkroom with me. :D

We say Go big or go home! :) We're totally ready.

Those are fantastic! I really want to learn this but I can't just yet, so I'm totally living vicariously through you. Such exciting work 'we' are doing! ;)
Are we bold enough to do a family portrait next?

I'm visiting some family next week at the beach, and I'm contemplating bringing my darkroom with me. :D

We say Go big or go home! :) We're totally ready.

You tell him, Leonore! :lol:

Wonderful results today - I'm excited for you, too. :) I love the look of these things, and I do think you're ready to try it with an image that means a bit more. :thumbup:

One last practice shot before making some at the beach in a couple days. :)
The TLR in the photo is an old family camera passed down to my gf. We just got it, so I wanted to make a photo of it.

10234604553_4aa9d899b6.jpg

10234531925_d047b37851.jpg

10234422324_84ebfc05da.jpg

10234503455_22f09e43ab.jpg

Very nice images!

I'd love to try something like this, but with my luck combined with all those chemicals around, I'd accidentally find a way to blow up my apartment. lol

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

How do you meter for wet plates? I was thinking about using a light meter set to like 3 ISO, but idk how accurate that would be.

How do you meter for wet plates? I was thinking about using a light meter set to like 3 ISO, but idk how accurate that would be.
Trial and error.

On the back of my dark-slide, I measured about 5 equal length gaps and marked them with a black marker.
Remove the slide to the first position, and make an exposure... then increase duration for each subsequent gap.

In the end you'll have something around 6 stops.

Like this:
http://www.collodion.com/uploads/54/wetplate_test_strip.jpg

I really love the look of these things. The one of the face and the girl in the yard are real standouts. Unique and lovely.

You're really getting the hang of it! :)

Thanks.

I did a little work today making a portable darkroom/change bag that is really neat.

Will post some pics soon.

Right now, trying to find some cellophane to block out the sun to look through the hole.

Using a double lined film change bag, I made a collapsable PVC frame to make a tent inside:

20130920_223116_zps7ad3c76f.jpg

20131013_200709_zpsd64e2afc.jpg

20131013_200800_zps7931c653.jpg

20131013_201000_zps80c3c5b1.jpg

Next will be to cut a window in the top, and adhesive in a safe like acrylic window. (I've been testing some materials for their light-safe abilities.. but the first off the shelf stuff I could find wouldn't work.

So I'm looking into some other stuff we have around the house. Might have some amberlith. )

I have every faith you'll get there! Looks great so far. The frame is inspired - room to work in there. :thumbup:

Hehe, well... I gave it the ol' college try.

The sun was coming out... then cloudy, then sunny again.. So the exposures are a little crazy.

But... here they are. The only ones I could get to sit still long enough.

10336880293_6656524921.jpg

10336688475_c52c77f9a1.jpg

10336699636_759f0ed6e9.jpg

They are each beautiful and unique. Beautiful, one of a kind portraits!

Impressive detail in a couple of them, too. My favorite is the first one - he's an awesome model!

Oh how I love! The detail, yes, but there's so much texture, and the light sort of dances around the plate. :heart:

Most reactions

Back