My first try at the stereotypical water drops!!!!

john3eblover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.xanga.com
took me lots of tries to get even these, and i'm not using the best lens, so these aren't exactly full frame... i wish they were though. some day maybe when i get a macro lens.

anyway, not exactly satisfied with the lighting setup or with how they turned out, but i figured i'd just post my first results and see if any of you helpful people had tips on how to improve them :) i can't seem to get past f5.6, i would like to be using f8 though. any comments are appreciated (in fact i'm going to keep bumping this until i get 5 responses other than my own :) )

waterdrop1.jpg

waterdrop3_filtered.jpg

waterdrop2.jpg

The last two are awesome! I like the green water. These look a little more "magical" than the other stereotypical water droplet!

Cool shots, I love the green on the second one. The texture of the water in the last one is really nice as well :thumbup: What technique are you using to get these shots, any special equipment? And what's the shutter speed?

thanks guys.

i'm using a most ridiculous, home made set up you've ever seen. i am almost embarassed to say. but basically, its a small blue dish, and i used different colors of construction paper in the background so the background would be blurred but in a good color. the flash seems to limit the shutter speed to 1/200th, so thats what its at usually. i think these were all at something awful like f/5 and ISO1600 or 800. I've figured out a better setup that lets me do ISO 400 and better apertures like f/8 and f/11, so if i get some better ones, i'll post those. Also, i'm using a program called "neat image" to clean up the noise in the pictures. It works really well

this is fun but frustrating. i think the hardest part is timing the drop correctly.

I really like these, especially the green one. The lighting on them is a bit dark though. You can take them into a photo program (Photoshop or PSP) and lighten them up a bit if you want. Other than that, I think they turned out VERY well. Good job :)

oh i've done quite a bit to them in photoshop, believe me. they aren't extremely dark to me, maybe its your monitor

I like the darkness of the water. It gives it the appeal in my eyes. Maybe if the back half of the water had a little light but you still managed to keep the front dark it'd look nice. I really like the green one. The blue in it is unreal.

Love the green one especially, but also the last blue one. The top one appears a touch darker to me and doesn't quite have the same feeling to it. Great job!

Rob

Most reactions

Back