my first venture into the darkside...... here

John_05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i finally got a chance to stop at a cemetery here. after being dropped off and as i watched the car drive off, i noticed i had left my memory card at home. as my heart sunk and i reached for my cell phone, i remembered i had 2 rolls of film in the side pouch of my camera bag. i guess my luck isnt that bad after all. :lol:

after seeing all of the incredible pictures posted here, im almost tempted not to post mine. a couple friends of mine seen these and liked them, but im still undecided. ive been accused of being my own worst critic, so thats my excuse for posting them here now.

this is one that i just found interesting. i dont see anything really "special" about it, but i thought someone here might like it
0284b84e.jpg

i tried to get a blurred background in this one, but it didnt come out so well, so i just edited in Photoshop myself. i like this one, but for some reason i keep looking at it like its missing something.
7ca18184.jpg

after looking at it a while, i figured i would just have some fun with it, and this is what i came up with.
65ba1c57.jpg

this last one looked pretty ordinary to me. then after seing a few pictures in the threads here, i had a crazy idea. this is what i came up with. i thought to myself that alot of people view cemeteries as negative places, so i thought i would make something to show that even though there can be negative aspects of a cemetery, there can be some positive ones too. i for one think alot of the headstones and statues are quite beautiful, so i converted the background into a negative image, and then re-added the angel as it normally looks.
f5943465.jpg

thanks to everyone that looks, and i appreciate any comments/criticism that anyone has.

Hey John... welcome to the darkside man. Grab a coffin...:lmao: love your shots. The first one if very unique. Kinda cool the guys name is stone and they plant a big rock on it. :lol:
Nicely done with the ps work. Very cool. I take it the last monument is the grave of a child. Most time they use that figure...well here in cannuckville they did. Especially in the 50's and 60's

Cool stuff man.

Chiller said:
Hey John... welcome to the darkside man. Grab a coffin...:lmao: love your shots. The first one if very unique. Kinda cool the guys name is stone and they plant a big rock on it. :lol:
Nicely done with the ps work. Very cool. I take it the last monument is the grave of a child. Most time they use that figure...well here in cannuckville they did. Especially in the 50's and 60's

Cool stuff man.

thanks Chiller.
i saw the first one from about 200 yards away and thought i would take a shot of it if i had film left. when i got around to it and saw the name, i was glad i had a few shots left.
as for the last one, i honestly dont remember. i took those shots about 2 months ago. when you say 50's and 60's, do you mean back in the 1800's or in the 1900's? the monument in the 2nd and 3rd shots is dated 1857, and the one in the 4th was pretty close to the same section.

i have more shots from that day, so i may post a couple more later. some of the shots i would have really liked were a bit out of focus, so if i can fix some of those, ill post them. about half of the shots are a little too "plain" in my opinion, so i probably wont post those. i took the pictures only a few days after we had a flood here and some parts of the cemetery were still flooded, so mosquitos were definitely a problem. i guess they really like O-negative blood. i think i had around 100 bites or more by the time i got home. i blame my focusing problems on the mosquitos, and loss of blood. :lmao:
i have 2 other shots i would have liked to have posted, but one got cut in half when i got them developed and theres no saving it, and the other has about 2/3's of the shot i wanted with 1/3 of another shot in the same frame.

i hope to get back there again soon, and hopefully i can get to a couple other cemeteries around here. we certainly have some interesting ones here that ive been wanting to shoot for a long time, and they dont hassle people about taking pictures unless youre there at night. the one i really want to go to ive been to hundreds of times and i know if i go at night i wont get hassled. ive been seen there so many times, by now i think the police think im either an employee, or a ghost. :lol:

thanks again for the comments. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back