My First Wedding - Adventures in Phototaking!

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wow.

That's all I can say really, to everyone on here who gave me tips about wedding photography. People warned me, they told me how DIFFERENT it was than portraiture, they told me about Bridezillas (which I didn't get much of thankfully) and evil family members who think they should've been the photographer. You all warned me about lighting, aperature, capturing motion, not missing the special moments, battery life, equipment, memory cards, drinks, eating and how to pose....

But nothing anyone said could've possibly prepared me for my first wedding. It was all in one the scariest, most difficult photoshoot as well as the most rewarding, most fun and most rewarding shoot I've ever done in my life.

A little play-by-play. I arrived at the location of the wedding with my wife in tow, my assistant for this shoot. I was at the Lions Club, at 4:45. Directions from the bride were to meet her at her HOTEL at 5, which I was told was "across the street" but in actuality was a 1/4 mile down the road I just traveled... but I made in time to have me and my wife help the bridesmaids up to the room. The wedding starts at 6, and an hour before the bride is taking a shower, shaving and getting ready... I was booted from the room, sans wife, so they could get ready, and waited outside of the room until... 4 minutes before the wedding was supposed to begin.

Inside the bride was bleeding from an accidental cut on her arm, almost in tears, and the bridesmaids (and my wife) were swarming the bride with last minute touches. There I finally got some decent, albeit rushed, pictures of the bride.

505990985_d6d496d7b6.jpg

My wife and I headed to the Lions Club again, where the Groom and Groomsmen had started cursing me for not showing up, literally I walked into a room filled with men saying "Where the hell is the photographer!"... they didn't know I was with the bride.

It's now 20 minutes after the ceremony was supposed to begin, and we are waiting on an important family member to show up.

505991027_e715f66ae9.jpg

The Bride and her girls were driving around the block waiting for the grooms grandfather, and people were standing around. It was good for me, I was able to test the light, and understand how little space I was going to have for this shoot. It was a crowded area, with about 40 chairs for 90 guests, which left a bunch of guests standing around in a non-photogenic sort of way and a very narrow point of access:

dsc0090va9.jpg

But it was still beautiful: (The sand was for a sand mixing ceremony that was forgotten by the Officiate... her dress was also SEE THROUGH in the sunlight... but I didn't tell her, she was a very nice woman who also served as a wedding-planner that day!)

505991103_67ec9a6455.jpg

Right before 7 the ceremony began and it was BEAUTIFUL. The beach was nice, the music was elegant, and the bride was walked down the aisle by her autistic son since her father and mother had passed on several years ago.
505962390_b9d524103b.jpg

The ceremony was SHORT, and I had to deal with a family member playing photog, showing up in every shot and if it wasn't him, their were people on the public beach behind him:

img3871vd2.jpg
dsc0142za9.jpg

But got some good shots of the ceremony and immediatly following:

505962338_2fa33ffce8.jpg

505962254_d240358b99.jpg

506024305_c3862572f0.jpg

505962308_ab6dc18e26.jpg

Then we moved inside, and she greeted about seven million people, and I went off to take a picture of the cake:

505962506_470319421b.jpg

And because no one told me, almost missed the signing of the marraige certificate:

505991389_d6476cbfb2.jpg

505962560_e7e6454d54.jpg

So that's all I have from my first disk... I am sure I will be posting more from the ceremony as I edit them. I took over 1100 pictures, so It might take me awhile.

Please comment and leave some C&C on the photos!

Thanks for everything guys. If I had to give one piece of advice to anyone else doing a wedding, it would be, THINGS MOVE QUICK, TAKE THE PICTURES!

:) :mrgreen:

For your first wedding shoot you're done a great job, your first shot of the bride is gorgeous!
It looks like you caught the special moments and have done a great job in capturing them.
Techinically I am a beginner, but I know what I like and I like what I see...

on some of them you cut the feet, which bothers me on some (not all). some of the light-wise more complicated images could need some selective contrast.

congratulations for the first job of this kind :)

Alex I agree about the feet, but from the only place I could take the pictures, If I keep the feet I also have the tops of peoples heads... which stinks!

looks good so far the only criticisim I might have is that the ceremony is a little backlit you could have used a little fill-flash. I am glad you acknowledged what wedding photographers here try to convey all the time to beginng wedding photographers, the stress and crazieness that comes with a wedding day. I have to tell you you made the right chi\oice shooting the bride first I guarantee you if you would have went and tried o shoot the guys and come back and shoot the girls and missed them there would have been alot more trouble.

hey congrats on the shoot, very well done. The first two are great, especially number two, it just the right moment and the right time for the camera. I also like the two sepia shots. I didn't notice the feet thing until Alex mention it but even then it didn't bother me that much, it's not an obvious mistake. Congrats again, glad you had fun.

...I'm impressed. Very nice work, especially for the first time. I wish I could tell you other weddings will go easier, but they don't. I can count maybe 4 or 5 weddings I've photographed that actually started on time. And they always cut back photographer time, not party time, and then blame you if they don't see all the photographs they thought they'd see. Ya gotta LOVE this business, otherwise it would drive you crazy!

You did a GREAT job! and way to stay calm and cool under the stress and pressure you went through. My only nitpicks on the photos are 1) straighten #4 (the one with the table and gazebo against the horizon), 2) the one where he is signing the marriage license looks kind of orange, and 3) I agree about the cut off feet. Other than that, very well done for first time!

Congrats on still being alive and some what sane!

Nice job, when's the next one? LOLOL

mike

Mike - lol I was NEVER sane... but thanks!

Everyone else - Thanks for the compliments. Ive put up quite a few more here:

www.rmtimages.com/wedding , but some of these haven't been post processed 100%... and the album is a bit compressed. If you see something you really like or dislike let me know!

Nice to see your images :)

I agree with the above. Some fill flash would have helped with a few and shooting outdoors in the middle of the day is never easy! Also when editing try and get the contrast right. Images 3 & 4 are under exposed but can be fixed in post processing.

Nice job for a first - it does however get harder before it gets easier!!

JD

Ryan I'm going through your images.

Why are your landscape images smaller than your portrait ones?

No3 - Is quite a bit under exposed.

Images with bride and bridesmaids needed some fill flash - Look at the colour of her dress..... it's under exposed probably due to the bright background.

Try not to cut off arms and feet. Don't cut off limbs at the joints either. In some there's lots of headroom (too much wasted space).

Watch for hw straight your images are. Some seem to be leaning..... Straighten in Ps or in RAW conversion.

Shoot with wider apertures when shooting the bride with a busy backdrop. THe one where the bride is coming out with the person giving her away has a sign in the background that catches the eye.... it's right behind her and in focus which is distracting!

Check your colour balance and contrast in all your images. Some are ok but many are off.

In some the background is a little washed out. Do a feathered selection of the backdrop and see if you can edcit the contrast.

What ISO did you shoot these at? Some seem noisy?

I went through the first 60 or so......

EOS - Thanks for the tips. To be honest, most of the things you said, wider aperature/fill flash were attempted, but sometimes it didn't work out!

I didn't shoot them at any specific ISO, some shots I was using my 50mm 1.8 lens, and others I had to switch to the 18mm side of the kit lens, which killed the DOF. I was in AUTO mode for a short time, and it lended to the noise, but I tried to keep the ISO around 200.

In short, I know they aren't perfect...far from it really, and as mentioned the ceremony was VERY difficult to shoot, but in the end I think the bride will be happy with what she is recieving.

Speaking of which, here are some NEW ones:

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0216.JPG

DSC_0218.JPG

DSC_0266.JPG

DSC_0288.JPG

DSC_0307.JPG

DSC_0383.JPG

DSC_0408.JPG

DSC_0451.JPG

RMT,
I am really impressed. From a person who is just 2 steps in the door of photography I can say you did a good job. This becomes a great job when you take in consideration that this is your first wedding shoot. I went to your website and there are a couple of pictures that really stand out.

How did your wife do? It must have been really nice to have someone helping.

Richard,

Thanks. I appreciate the nice words. I know I still have a lot to learn, but I think I actually did better than I hoped... I took a TON of pictures on little D50, and everything went swimmingly! (Not even half of the battery life was off of the D50!!!)

My wife was great during the ceremony, she was there to hand me what I needed and whatnot... but honestly, after that I didn't really need her for more than moral support.

I knew one of the Bride's Maids beforehand, that's how I got the wedding, and my wife had met her once before, so once my wife had a few Mimosa's in here her and the bridesmaid and the girls at the table were best friends! Even invited us out after! (couldn't go though)

There are some shots I took I like more than others too... what are some that stand out to you??

Most reactions

Back