My first wedding coming up in a month

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole fact that I like money turns people off. People have said I hope you fail because you want money.

People also said I act like i know it all. If you go back and read you can find it said that I will improve with time. I spend time learning and it is obvious. My work is worth three grand for the cheapest package I offer for weddings. Is it to photographers, Hell no, they say I'm new and They hope I fail. Which is fine, they are not a customer. Some on the site the majority before I told people I like cash says it looks good. Had two say it looks like its from a magazine.

Every morning I wake up to a 1 or more message of someone asking me how much I charge. This is how I know I'm good. I'm not pro. I am not concerned with being pro. I am concerned with enhancing my style. If I enhance my style I make more and more money. the better I get the more people will like my photography. Is the main factor behind that money. YES! My main passion is traveling so I use photography, because it is easy for money. SHOOT ME! People happen to like my style

Now, The reason why I can get what I want in terms of getting customers is because I have my own style. I have been told my photos look like they could be in a magazine. I think two times on here for my c&c post and all the time in life. They say I love your style. That doesn't mean I'm awesome, but it gets me customers.

When someone loves your style they will pay for it. Someone said if you judge your picture on what actually makes it good your are no good. I think someone one said that one here. thats an opinion. Art is not done one way. I guess I'm example of that.

Another thing to consider is i've been doing this three months. at around a month and half is when i finally figured out my work flow. From that time on is when I started getting messages asking for my service. 7 in a month in a half is GOOD. You cant act like it isn't. It's obvious you are, but we know thats impressive.

The average photographer makes 34 grand. So far this year i'm averging 21 already if everything works out only on weddings. Thats a month in a half of people emailing. Imagine 12 months. Thats just weddings. thats not counting my job with the paper and my 3 to 5 customers a week.

These kind of numbers are the reason for my confidence. Do not mistake it for arrogance. I've been doing this for three months. In 15 years there is not telling where I will be at. Time allows you to learn and grow.

As for fstop. I did not ask the question like I would have. I wanted to know what was going up an fstop. aperture fstps were what I did not understand. I can be hated on for that and thats cool. Really amertureish but it didn't effect people wanting me for their weddings. People act as though photography is insanely hard. The truth is it is not. It's tough, but if you have the right teachers your golden. I have had very very good teachers.

Some people like my style, If they like it and want to pay for it. Awesome!!!!. If they love one of your guys style and want to pay for it. YOu know good for you guys and I'm glad someone liked your style.

But hey, if any of you guys have any real advice one what else there is to offer, spit it out. I want to average 50 after taxes. So help me out or lets here the hate, gives me something to do while editing.

You do realize it's not about us judging how good or bad your work is. In the photography buisiness you're not just selling your work, you're selling yourself. Your personality, your professionalism, your ATTITUDE.

If you can make a living off photography that's wonderful. Nobody here wants you to fail. But people are trying to explain to you that as "golden" as everything may seem right now, you are setting yourself up for failure.

OP: this may sound harsh, but you asked for opinions. I know your main question is how to make more money, so i will answer that question in relation to the evidence i have seen about your skill level.

Want more money off people.. then rob them.

I'm not trying to be a jackass here, but this is what you are effectively doing anyway.
Think of it in other trades apart from photography... you are no different than a 'cowboy builder' who writes contracts to lay professional new driveways, and ends up doing a shoddy job and making off with the money.

Just because this is a photography forum doesn't mean we should all be on 'your side'... I am thinking of the poor couple that realizes when they get their prints through, that many are just not up to scratch... what will they do then, nothing it's too late.

This isn't to say every couple will have a problem with your work, but with your experience there will come a time and place where you just can't get the results that you should be expected to.

You are going to charge what many seasoned and highly rated pros charge, and yet your knowledge of photography (we will leave aside the massive assumption you have about being weddings being easy) is seemingly poor.

Even the images post you have made here, although fairly good for a beginner, are not on par with what I would expect from a 3k wedding photographer. Therefore, to try and make more money at this stage I think is simply ridiculous.

I'm not saying give up though by any means. I think you should start weddings cheaper and build it up. Try and start too high and you will burn out in more ways than one. Good luck.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, guys my grammar is poor. It took me a couple of time to even spell grammar right. I knew it was getting about time to start bringing the grammar hate out. It had been left unsaid for far to long.

Oh yeah, guys my grammar is poor. It took me a couple of time to even spell grammar right. I knew it was getting about time to start bringing the grammar hate out. It had been left unsaid for far to long.

And this is all you get out of this whole thread? Might as well :delete: because somehow I have a sneaky suspicion that unless someone tells you what YOU really want to hear we are wasting our time.

And this is all you get out of this whole thread? Might as well :delete: because somehow I have a sneaky suspicion that unless someone tells you what YOU really want to hear we are wasting our time.

Hey guys what do u dink? I done dentistry for a few month now and people is linin up in my wading room! I get 3 grand for da crown! I must be good! Do you guys have any ideas how I can make more money from my patients? Maybe when I have them under sedation I can slightly damage there teeth n make dem break later. Den I get more moneys when dey kum back to get crowns!!

dental-crowns.jpg

Last edited:
OP: this may sound harsh, but you asked for opinions. I know your main question is how to make more money, so i will answer that question in relation to the evidence i have seen about your skill level.

I'm not trying to be a jackass here, but this is what you are effectively doing anyway.
Think of it in other trades apart from photography... you are no different than a 'cowboy builder' who writes contracts to lay professional new driveways, and ends up doing a shoddy job and making off with the money.

Just because this is a photography forum doesn't mean we should all be on 'your side'... I am thinking of the poor couple that realizes when they get their prints though, that many are just not up to scratch... what will they do then, nothing it's too late.

This isn't to say every couple will have a problem with your work, but with your experience there will come a time and place where you just can't get the results that should be expected to.

You are going to charge what many seasoned and highly rated pros charge, and yet your knowledge of photography (we will leave aside the massive assumption you have about being weddings being easy) is seemingly poor.

Even the images post you have made here, although fairly good for a beginner, are not on par with what I would expect from a 3k wedding photographer. Therefore, to try and make more money at this stage I think is simply ridiculous.

I'm not saying give up though by any means. I think you should start weddings cheaper and build it up. Try and start too high and you will burn out in more ways than one. Good luck.

Your wrong.

You may think work is not up to par. The people who see my work and decide they want to pay three grand know my work is up to their par.

Your not the customer, the customer is who decides if the work is good or is not good. If you like my style then you think my work is good. If you do not like my style then you think my work is bad.

SO if you have seen my portfolio going into the wedding and you get what i showed you in my portfolio, you are happy.

You are not making sense.

Explain to me how a couple will be mad if they get what I have shown them.

If you are trying to say two shooters Megan and seth can not take on a wedding where are your facts, present them. I can deliver what they see in my portfolio. If that is not up to your standard of 3 grand that is not what matters. Art is worth what the people buying think it is worth not what some kid on the photo forum thinks because he's been taking pictures for twenty years and kid who's been doing it three months can get his business.

Just because this is a photography forum doesn't mean we should all be on 'your side'... I am thinking of the poor couple that realizes when they get their prints though, that many are just not up to scratch... what will they do then, nothing it's too late.

This isn't to say every couple will have a problem with your work, but with your experience there will come a time and place where you just can't get the results that should be expected to.

Your wrong.

You may think work is not up to par. The people who see my work and decide they want to pay three grand know my work is up to their par.

Your not the customer, the customer is who decides if the work is good or is not good. If you like my style then you think my work is good. If you do not like my style then you think my work is bad.

SO if you have seen my portfolio going into the wedding and you get what i showed you in my portfolio, you are happy.

If you are trying to say two shooters Megan and seth can not take on a wedding where are your facts, present them. I can deliver what they see in my portfolio. If that is not up to your standard of 3 grand that is not what matters. Art is worth what the people buying think it is worth not what some kid on the photo forum thinks because he's been taking pictures for twenty years and kid who's been doing it three months can get his business.

Ok.. the gig is up.. There is no way you are actually like this in real life. I call trolling!:band:

There's no hate involved (But remember, just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you), but you're undertaking a job where you are going to be dealing closely with the public, and at a time when they're busy, nervous, excited, and Oh, did I mention nervous?

Do you really think that poor grammar and speech is going to inspire confidence? Granted you can be a stellar photographer and be illiterate, BUT this is a game where impressions count, and my impression is that your impression is not going to be a good one.

You've bragged several times about how many bookings you're getting. Great - I'm happy for you, BUT remember that it's fairly common for any new business to have a rush at the onset. Think back to the last time a new restaurant opened in town. It was probably busy for the first little while, then business began to taper off, and then it folded.

Keep in mind that word of mouth is your best advertising, and if, of those seven bookings, at least six are not ecstatic with your work, you'll likely see the flow dry up very quickly. One negative referral will cancel out twenty positive ones.

Your wrong.

Ok.. the gig is up.. There is no way you are actually like this in real life. I call trolling!:band:
Yeah, okay, on further reflection, I'm going with Aayria on this...

troll-web.jpg

I have to agree that customers are the deciding factor in wedding photography. I dont doubt you have a client base building who approve of your shots. But its alittle confusing when there are so many wedding photography sites on the internet and you come here for ideas from beginners on how to improve money flow. From all your research you havent went to actual sites and seen what others are doing. See how people who have been in the biz for a while are making money? Really? I do appreciate your confidence in us.

Would you like to share your wedding package. Like what does this $3000 package include? ? ?

You do realize it's not about us judging how good or bad your work is. In the photography buisiness you're not just selling your work, you're selling yourself. Your personality, your professionalism, your ATTITUDE.

If you can make a living off photography that's wonderful. Nobody here wants you to fail. But people are trying to explain to you that as "golden" as everything may seem right now, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Your wrong too!

First explain how.

Secondly last weekend. I went to the puppy pound and took pictures of every dog. Since then I have booked alot of appointments for dogs. Thats not to go oh **** your pro now. Thats to say you know nothing about me but this post and that i asked about f stop. You can judge someone future off that. Come on!

Enough People like my photography, enough people like my personality, Enough people recommend me to other people. My name is getting around and I'm getting more clients. I am going to be a house hold name in my town, because I am going to keep helping out with charity and helping the pound and other events. I'm also going to tear up every market I can. HOw smart you are will determine how well you can achieve your goals. My goal is to be able to travel. It takes money to do that. I have created my style and people are booking session for it. AWESOME!

If this would have been my market place. I would have ruined it, but it's not a market place for me.

The future is only going to get brighter. I'm going to do what I can to make mine bright.

So to say that you guys are trying to help me from failing is non sense, your trying to say my work isn't worth 3 grand, "which is wrong, people are paying it gladly and I can deliver what they ask for". You can't say what art is worth. To you it may be trash, to other it may be gold.

I'm probably going to get sued, it's just non sense , what evidence do you have that would make you think I can't deliver what you see every time.

And this is all over, me asking what else can i charge for. People should try to answer the question, if you don't have the answer keep your two cents. But answers that help would be freaking awesome.

Dude, I know derrel and big mike may not like me... but those guys are smart and have all kind of advice so I was hoping they may have something to offer

then you have the dudes, saying dont do it, wedding photography is like trying to be an astronaut.

So I cam on here for real advice. I have looked at some. right after I typed this when I started noticing these people didn't have very good advice.

Dude, I know derrel and big mike may not like me... but those guys are smart and have all kind of advice so I was hoping they may have something to offer

then you have the dudes, saying dont do it, wedding photography is like trying to be an astronaut.

So I cam on here for real advice. I have looked at some. right after I typed this when I started noticing these people didn't have very good advice.

Dude you will have to tell us what are you charging $3000 for. Lets see what is missing from your package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back