My first wedding - pt1

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by eclipse13, Nov 3, 2008.

1. eclipse13

eclipse13 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    C&C Welcome
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kerri27

Kerri27 TPF Noob!

I like the second one.

3. MelodySoul

MelodySoul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree that #2 is really nice. For #1 I like the idea but I would find a more interesting spot for the dress, perhaps in front of a window with natural light coming in. #3 just seems off. It doesn't really tell a story.

4. HJM Photography

HJM Photography TPF Noob!

Have these been edited in shop yet?

I think I would prefer them if they were more dramatic.... this is the Bride's dress!

Perhpas in black and white, cropped, and some vignetting?

-Hayley

5. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have looked through all of your recent wedding pictures and here is some critique. I am not highly experienced in weddings but a little experience is better then none ;)

It looks like you rely on your flash way too heavily. Flash is an amazing tool - when used appropriately. Most of your images look blatantly flashy - the goal of flash is to add light without tweaking people off that you had to (generally - there are always exceptions of course!)

What is your EXIF data on some of these?

With the dress shots I never use flash, generally you have to move it close to a window or a light source. Watch your backgrounds - where the dress is hanging is quite 'blah' and the floor ruins it. Search out windows, cool niches, stairs .. something!

Regarding the aquariam - that is very difficult to light but I am thinking your friend would have been available light and a tripod. That or dragging the shudder and using your flash just to 'kiss' them with light. The aquariam was probably well lit inside in comparison tot he outside and probably could have made a great 'sexy' silhouette.

With the alter shots, if you can, bounce your flash like your life depends on it if there is not enough available light.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

6. SilverGlow

SilverGlow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To the OP: Not bad for a first wedding.

Peanuts, weddings are about flash. The OP's issues are not that he used flash too much. His issue is that he used flash in the wrong way. Perhaps you meant that the use of available light would have been great for the dress shot? I agree, and I would've used available light (perhaps) with a tilted framing of the comp, much closer, and utilize a fast aperture to blur out part of the dress.

I use flash for about 90% or more and the rest available light. But nothing is worse then a great comp ruined by faces not bright.

7. eclipse13

eclipse13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    While I don't wan't to sound like I am making excuses, because I did come here for critique, I feel like I must explain one thing. The wedding was held in one of those warehouse type churches. There were no fancy windows, stairs, or anything of any elegance around. The only windows were the entrance doors, and in the pastors office.

8. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I should reiterate that I said: Flash is an amazing tool - when used appropriately. Perhaps I should have also added 'properly'.

During a wedding - I probably use flash, 15% of the time

9. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #1 would have been an awesome shot if the dress was strapped to the bride instead of the hanger.:blushing: Really!

10. SilverGlow

SilverGlow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Those are excuses you made... ;-) If anything I would have got closer and tilted the framing...otherwise it looks like a snapshot, or evidence type shot the police might make. But hey, it was your first...before the wedding did you study hundreds of poses on the net for ideas? That helps tons...again, good start!