My First Wedding Shoot... Need Some Critique Please

KooKoo102

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My mom had an informal wedding and asked me if I would be the "photographer". The thought of doing wedding photography has always made me nervous. I explained to my mom, "I am by no means a professional and not going to provide those nice "pintrest" wedding shots" in hoping she would say not to worry about it and that she would pay someone... but that did not happen. So, I took it as a challenge.
I already have a D610 with 5 lenses. 16-35 f4g / 24-70 f2.8g / 70-200 f4g / 85 f1.8g / 105 f2.8g. Also have a sb-700, sb-910, SMDV 60 soft box, umbrella kit and other stuff that does not matter for weddings. Looking over my equipment, I felt there was a few things I needed. After doing some research I ordered an Apollo orb and 4x inch umbrella. I had that shipped to my sisters house in Orlando to help with traveling. As far as trigger for the flashes, I ordered a Pocket wizard mini, flex, and ac3 kit.
So after the ceremony, I setup the equipment and noticed I could not get the SB-700 to fire.. Was going to use it bare bulb as rim light on the hair. Feeling under pressure, I said screw it and moved on with the sb-910 in the orb. I’m overall happy with what I was able to produce for my first "wedding shoot". For the outside pics I used the 70-200 f4 with the sb-910 in the orb.
Inside I used the 24-70 f2.8 with the sb910 bouncing the ceiling with the white card out as well.
Please let me know what you think, what I did good, what I did bad, and what I could do to improve. This is a learning experience and would like as much info as possible. Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC_4203.jpg
    DSC_4203.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC_4251.jpg
    DSC_4251.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC_4281.jpg
    DSC_4281.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 275
Please let me know what you think, what I did good, what I did bad, and what I could do to improve.

Using the Pocket Wizards requires knowing exactly how to make everything work together.

Shot of Bridesmaids outdoors is pretty good.

Shot of Bride alone should have had more light on her and from a different position (away from the lens). What little light there is is too flat.

Shot of Bride and bridesmaid at table; the flash may have been bounced, but I think your white balance was off, or the ceiling was not white enough. Remember; you can also bounce flash off any handy white surface, such as a wall, a large sheet of paper, someone's white shirt, etc.

The first image is nice, however your positioning of the subjects has a tree growing of the middle of the head of the girl on the right, and as mentioned, the bride's face is significantly under-exposed.

I agree with what has been said above. I think the last is is okay. On the Bride, I would add one more thing for the future, recompose the image to get all of her hands in the shot (like you did on #1), there is plenty of space at the top of the image.

Ditto what's been said above. On the shot of your mom, I played with the sliders in LR a bit to bring out her face more. Can take it down if you want. Your mom is beautiful :)

Thank you all for the comments, sorry i did not reply till now, been on a couple trips and working in between lol. I will have to look at your edit at home as the work computer will not let me see it for some reason.
I will keep my background in mind from here on out... Was not even a thought at all and now that you mentioned it... I will never forget to keep an eye out.
The one of my mom was dark... was probably my first shot after moving with the sun in the background... have to look at the other shots.
There is a chance the white balance was off... But not by much. I used LR to adjust that, and it’s darn close. Yes, the ceiling had white in it... but with wood in some areas. (Mostly white though)
I’m still working on composure... I was feeling kind of rushed as we were getting bit by "noseeums" not trying to make an excuse... I still do need to get better with composure :)
Again, thank you. I am always trying to improve my abilities with this camera, I do not feel I use it as much as I would like to, so this was fun :)

Most reactions

Back