My first wedding, some help please

Ganoderma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
our best friend is getting married early next year, and she was going to hire a photographer to do it but her mother said it cost too much and they didnt have money. long story short, i said i would do it for her and her husband.

most of my limited photography experience has been nature. plants, animals especially macros.

some ideas of what a weeding here is like (taiwan).

outdoors often quite bright light. there are many round tables with 8-10 people at each all under a tarp like canopy in a long row with a stage and singer at the front.

because the wedding may be over 200 meters long, and narrow, i am thinking a good wide angle lens would be a good idea.

photos i *need* to get for the family are:
full family portrait (maybe 20-30 people sitting/standing infront of a very colourful background (see pics at bottom for idea)

bride & groom in all sorts of positions, but mostly natural.

eating shots, as the weddings here are all about FOOD :lmao:

"landscape" all the tables and kitchen etc.

anything else you think is good?

i am using a Cannon Kiss X (i think it is the same as the eos 400).

i have the standard kit lens and a sigma 70-300 macro. neither seem to me to be too incredibly good for the purpose here, so I am thinking a wide angle would be the best buy? i will only be able to afford 1 lens, so i dont want to buy the wrong one.

any suggestions and help are MORE than appreciated.

here are some examples of my wedding here. ignore teh quality these are just random shots guests mailed me :)
wedding21.jpg

wedding1.jpg

wedding3.jpg

wedding5.jpg

wedding8.jpg

thanks again!

keep us posted with pics!

I know all about food being the 'main focus' (pun intended) in Taiwanese weddings :lol:, I had my wedding there myself...first day at the Grand Hotel in Kaohsiung followed by a second day of closing off the street and having a feast under the tarp-like canopy :drool:

I would go for the wide angle if you have to do a group of 20 to 30. My wide angle zooms in as well, so for smaller groups i can get in closer. If you have a 50 or 85mm, that would be good for individual/couple shots.
Take pictures of details! everyone forgets the details (back of the dress, champaign glasses, rings, flowers, shoes, jewelry etc.) They are always a nice touch especially if you are going to do an album.

If you are on a timeline, be sure to bring with you a list of pictures the bride wants, and then check them off as you take them so you know what you've done. Hope that helps!

Oh man, this is gonna get ugly... and fast. I think I hear a stampede of people coming to reply to this post. :lol:

:popcorn:

wow deja vu....i'm thorn on how to give advice regarding this. I just had a complete 180 on the other thread regarding a similar scenario :lol:.

I'll say it again..I say absolutely positively to hire a pro when there is that option. I know you mentioned that they think it's expensive but I've just seen to many regretful couples who didn't pursue this route. Think long term...this is their wedding day. I would advice your friend to do so.

I think I hear a stampede of people coming to reply to this post.
[ear pressed against the ground]

"Yes, I'm certain that is Jerry's stomp. Coming full speed, rounding the corner at Beyond the Basics, D200 and SB-600s a-bangin' and a-rattlin', snortin' like a mad bull. Don't stand here gawking, y'all - stand aside lest ye get trompled and trampled. And one more thing: hire a pro!"

"Yes, I'm certain that is Jerry's stomp. Coming full speed, rounding the corner at Beyond the Basics, D200 and SB-600s a-bangin' and a-rattlin', snortin' like a mad bull. Don't stand here gawking, y'all - stand aside lest ye get trompled and trampled."

*puts ear to the ground* Don't think those are SB-600s...did he get SB-900's with 200mm zoom? Aw crap. *runs for the hills*

Before anyone else says to hire a pro, maybe we should ask what the expectations are in Taiwan. I look at the two wedding shots posted and they don't say pro wedding photographer to me the way we understand it here in the US.

For example, I shot one wedding in France for an artist friend. There were 10 of us shooting, none had ever shot a wedding and a few had never been to a french wedding. The couple didn't care. To them it was more like an art project... Since then I have been to more weddings there and at 99% of them there was a photog who showed up to do a few formal portraits at the end of the ceremony and that was it. All the other photos the couples got were shot by their friends.

So again, before jumping all over this person with "hire a pro" let's find out what the expectations are over there.

Before anyone else says to hire a pro, maybe we should ask what the expectations are...

This is the key. Many couples simply want someone to know that the event will be recorded. Sit down and discuss the issue with them; explain what you feel are your limitations (equipment/skill) and be frank about what sort of final product they will get from you. If they're happy with that, go for it. Don't forget, you've got lots of time, so practice!!!!

As long as their expections of your work and lack of wedding experience are real and honest, then go for it.

Try and test out your kit lens to see if the focal range is a good one for what you want. If so, I'd suggest a 17-55 f/2.8 as a new lens. Canon or third party. Its a great upgrade to your kit lens, the f/2.8 will give you a decent option for darker shots.

If you go too wide, such as the wide end of the 10-22, group shots might get distorted on the edges. But again, it depends on the available space.

Detail shots are a must, and shouldn't be a big issue if you have macro experience.

If you are shooting under the tarp, that may lead to some harsh shadows if its a sunny day. Look into a hotshoe flash and how to do fill flash. Some of the pictures you posted have the people's faces really dark.

Obviously better glass will give you better results. Look into renting some lenses, and maybe charging the couple (discuss with them prior) for the cost of rental. A 24-70 f/2.8 or a 70-200 f/2.8 are great lenses.

Make sure you have alot of extra memory with you as you will be shooting alot. I'd aim for a good quantity of shots, to capture the most possible.

Before anyone else says to hire a pro, maybe we should ask what the expectations are in Taiwan.

For the record, I totally agree. I was just sharing an amusing image that popped into my head. :D

Jon

Before anyone else says to hire a pro, maybe we should ask what the expectations are in Taiwan.

For the record, I totally agree. I was just sharing an amusing image that popped into my head. :D

Jon

And since I've travelled quite a bit I was just trying to remind people that not everybody looks at things the same way we do here in the US. And you may not even be in the US yourself :D

A lot of the forums that were started in the US tend to have a majority of US members so it is easy to forget that we are not the only ones present but, in this case, the OP made it pretty clear and to me it means I want to know what is Taiwan wedding photography like before offering advice that may not mean a darn thing. :lol:

Last edited:

"Yes, I'm certain that is Jerry's stomp. Coming full speed, rounding the corner at Beyond the Basics, D200 and SB-600s a-bangin' and a-rattlin', snortin' like a mad bull. Don't stand here gawking, y'all - stand aside lest ye get trompled and trampled. And one more thing: hire a pro!"

d700 ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back