my first wedding

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by JimmyJaceyMom, May 22, 2007.

1. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    was awful.
    bad thing #1. it was supposed to be outdoors and instead the lady that ran the chapel decides it was too windy and we had to do it inside. Fine, that's ok right? NO becasue inside is smaller than my bathroom (slight exaggerations) and there is nowhere to go that there arent people in your way THEN she tells me she doesnt want me to use my flash! Let's see how many great images of a ceremony I can get when I cant get up close and I am not allowed to use my flash. hmmmm. Well I used it anyway but I didnt want t o tick er off so I kept it minimal.

bad thing #2. No one has time to do posed pictures outside they have to get to the park reception right away and the bride's kid is covered in poop so we have to do it without him which leaves the bride in distress.

bad thing #3. I get to the 'reception' there are like 20 people just sitting there. Not doing anything... Most everyone has put on jeans and tshirts and is already half kicked in the ass from the kegs so they are doing NOTHING interesting and no one is interested in getting their picture taken - in other words they were not friendly people!!!

bad thing #4. No one likes eachother.. I asked the bride who she would like a picture with, her mother? She says with her mothe rright behind me. No. I dont like my mother - we dont get along. Okaaay, what about your dad? nope not him either. The groom and his parents. No they dont get along either. Okay then.

I could go on and on but I won't. Because I dont like to complain and I dont like to make excuses. I dont know if I would have done better if this had been a more traditional wedding. And I dont think I will find out. LOL

2. Jim Gratiot

Jim Gratiot TPF Noob!

Sorry to hear about it... twenty years from now you'll laugh when you think about it.

In a way, it's a good story for people to hear... wedding photography is NOT easy... and not just from a photographic point of view. You're dealing with stressed out folks, wedding planners, etc.

Hope your second one is better. (Don't give up yet!!)

3. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, you seem to have hit the motherload of terrible weddings... but PLEASE share a picture or two!

4. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Sounds like you got all the things that can go wrong all together in one wedding. I looked at your flikr and saw some wedding images they look pretty good. you should post some from the wedding here.

5. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow, you really didn't have a good time...Sorry it wasn't a pleasant experience, but what else could you do? You tried your best and that is all anyone can expect from you. Ya, it didnt sound like anyone wanted to cooperate or be friendly at all. Thats too bad. This sort of reminds me of a wedding about 6 years ago in Las Vegas where I was a groomsman. No one was covered in poop (good thing!), but there were quite a few snobby and uncooperative people there. Dont throw in the towel just yet, it HAS to get better than what you went through!

6. dewey

dewey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay... sorry to hear about the bad time... below is not meant to be critical of you (except for the flash - that's just silly) but to share my experiences with wedding photography over the years:

bad thing 1: You need to plan to be flexible - plans change at weddings all the time. As for the flash - you rarely will be able to use your flash during an indoor ceremony - even if you can it is in bad taste to do so... it's very distracting. I'm surprised that you seem to be proud that your ignored the bride's request of no flash. Why in the world would you do that? Getting good images when you can't get close up without a flash is what makes a wedding professional... what lens were you using that you had to use a flash?

bad thing 2: Something to that end happens at every wedding, and the bride is always distressed about something. A good wedding photographer is also part family mediator.

bad thing 3: Get a long lens and hide in the corner next time... you'll get a few good candids no matter what the crowd. (look for kids, even mean people usually smile around kids)

bad thing 4: Weddings with families who don't get along are a bit annoying, but it's just part of the territory.

Now take what you learned and do it again... even though it went poorly in your eyes it was good experience.

7. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just peeked at your flickr and you SURELY got some good images! I really like "swings" of the kids on the swings! SO sweet!

I agree seeing the people in jeans and whatnot is a little frustrating, and if I was getting married I would be ****ED... I don't want my boquet tossing pic to a bunch of people getting ready for a picnic... so a little tip. When something in the picture ruins the "classic" look, a cigarette, a paper napkin, people in jeans, try to desaturate to sepia tone, and see if it helps. It does for me!

8. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just looked at your gallery too, and I think you did a great job! Not bad at all for your first wedding. Except for a few pics that need to be cropped a bit, or straightened, and some are underexposed, they are generally good. You should be very proud of these! :)

9. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not finished editing this one. It needs a lot - I wasn't very close to them and there were a ton of shadows and I had to clone out some limbs of guests that were on either side of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah... there's a guy missing. He got up while I was setting this up, looked right at me and then walked away. :grumpy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HAHAHA see how hoppin this wedding was?!?!?!?!?!? Notice the lack of guests around the bouquet toss!
    [​IMG]

Same here.. you know why? Because there werent any! LOL
    [​IMG]

Need I say more about the attendants and how much class they had? I'm not classy either but this picture just 'fits' the way the entire wedding went. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, I'll admit I do like this one
    [​IMG]

and this one :)
    [​IMG]

so there's a couple for ya. I did post them in my flickr for the bride to see them. I know I was told this would be a small informal wedding but I just wasnt expecting a Jerry Springer type ordeal where uncle jimjobobfred wouldn't even feel the need to put his teeth in. LOL

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :) You're the best. I reallyl think I will stick with children's portraits and try to improve on those instead of weddings. I actually enjoy taking children's pictures wheras by the time this couple cut the cake I was checking my watch. :(

10. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    By the way. My family has it's own uncle Jimjobobfred, I'm not making fun. Just trying to convey that it wasn't what I expected. :)

11. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    (((((

12. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wedding from hell, we have all had at least one.

I'm going to come down against most folks here. You need a good flash and know how to use it to shoot weddings. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

If they won't let you use flash during the ceremony and I agree it is distracting. Get a tripod out of the car where you keep all the equipment you didn't think you would need and set up for a few natural light at low shutter speeds. At that said, my rule is I won't be the first to flash a strobe, nor will I sit back and let someone with a point and shoot have the best picture of the ceremony.

As for the indoors outdoors thing you do the best you can. As for the lining up for pictures, YOU have to TAKE control period. It's what your job is. That said, it is one of the hardest things to learn. Everybody wants to be loved by everybody else, but sometimes you have to be the drill sargent.

You did well I think. Don't throw your hands up just use it to learn. Good to get the wedding from hell out of the way early.