my first wedding

Put a little time between you and the wedding from hell before you throw out the baby with the bathwater. If you still feel the same in a month take if off you list of things to do. If you find it irresistable try to find someone who knows the business to help you out.

Good luck either way.

ps wedding photography aint rocket science just hard work./... you can do it.

Well I have to admit that the guy signing the guest book with a pen in one hand and the cigarette in the other actually made me laugh. I know thats not what you were going for but that is a CLASSIC moment!!!!

Thats like something from the 70's when people walked around with cigarettes in public places everywhere and thought nothing of it. But sheesh, you'd think that a person could detach themselves from a cigarette for a minute or 2 to sign a nice guest book at somebody's wedding. Its kind of a special moment to sign a guest book, or at least thats what some people think. :)

NJ

haha! ok I wasnt going to go there but that isnt the strangest image of the day. I htink this one tops them all.

IMG_6753.jpg

Looks like a wedding setting to me whatdya think? LOL these two were at it all day!!! :lol:

Are you kidding me???? They are like sucking face in broad daylight and pretty much groping each other, and in front of young kids yet. Yep, this one takes the cake (no pun intended on the wedding cake) for strangest picture at a wedding. :thumbup:

Maybe this should be a challenge on another post!! "STRANGEST PICTURE TAKEN AT A WEDDING." I have one from my latest wedding thats pretty good, and I will share it. :)

NJ

Hey that sounds like a plan. I dont know if this one would win but it sure gave me the creeps. That kid wasnt even theirs. If I was his mother I would be like - ew! get away from there! lol

I am so sorry for your experience, but I must say you have started out my day with a big chuckle!! Thanks for being willing to share! Look on the bright side, it's unlikely to ever get worse than that! :lol:

Wedding and reception in the same room.... guest tap the keg before the ceremony. Take the plastic cups of beer to their seats for the service. Look up from the group shots to see guys pushing and shoving over my camera case.

That was the best of the memories that day. they happen to us all.

Wedding and reception in the same room.... guest tap the keg before the ceremony. Take the plastic cups of beer to their seats for the service. Look up from the group shots to see guys pushing and shoving over my camera case.

That was the best of the memories that day. they happen to us all.

See and you continued to do weddings after that huh? lol You must have liked them. I would be happy to never take another wedding photo in my lifetime!!!!
I'm not kidding you. I usually break out that camera at least once a day and do you know that it was four whole days before I took another picture? I had post traumatic stress disorder with my camera! haha.

Thanks for the advice... I will be learning to use a flash correctly in the near future but not for weddings. I'm not throwing my hands up in frustration over not having done well, which in my opinion, I did not.
I'm not assertive enough personality wise to tell people what to do so it's obviously not going to work out for me.
Also I just did not enjoy it. I don't know if enjoying yourself is a must to you guys but if I am so sick of editing the pictures already and I just want to get it over with, common sense (which really isn't common at all) tells me that I probably shouldn't offer my (dis) services to anyone else. :)
I think the assertiveness thing might be a problem when shooting weddings. As was previously said you need to be the drill seargent you need to take charge at a wedding and if that doesn't work you need to remind the B+G that they paid you alot of money for you to be there and if they want good pictures of their wedding they need to tell their friends to cooperate. I hope you can get at least one good wedding under your belt before you decide to throw in the towel. I love shootong weddings but I guess thst is a personal thing and some people hate it but don't judge shooting weddings on one bad one.

Well thank god the barn dance wedding wasn't my first, but on my first which was almost forty years ago, I was shooting flash bulbs. It was a total nightmare. And I think the going rate then was two hundred bucks. I actually like the work pretty well and love the ooohs and ahhhhhhh at the proof show.

I just hate the actual business part of it. Getting the customers and the constant mental gymnastics of: is my price to high, is my price too low. It's a nightmare but the shooting is usually okay for me.

My second wife gave me the advice that guided me through my years of wedding photography. She said, "Did you ever notice that a Micky D burger tastes the same in maine as in alabama. It is also the same on Friday as it was on Monday."

"Yeah,"

"So you should find out what worked in you last wedding and keep that, then find out what didn't and fix that. When you get it so that everything works, stop screwing around with it."

In other words trying to figure out every problem as if it were a new one is crazy and only leads to mistakes. Create your system and work your system. It worked for me all those years, and with several variations for the better, it is working for my son in law now. He is digital I am still film.

HOLY COW!!!!!

This is like a Saturday Night Live skit!

The good thing is now you have a story that will be very entertaining to a lot of people and images to prove your story and make them laugh even more.

There is absolutely NOTHING you could have done about it. If they all hate one another then invited all the people they hate to the wedding it was a planned disaster from the start.

One tip for a fast lense. I would HIGHLY reccomend a canon 50mm f1/8 prime.

It is a kick butt lens and I use it about 90% of the time and it is right around $70, you absolutely can not beat it.

If it makes youfeel any better, I absolutely HATE weddings and stopped doing them all together.

Most reactions

Back