My first wedding

Tolyk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not very experienced with portraits, but my friend couldn't find a photographer, so I volunteered. I did the shoot as a gift, but not feeling very good about the outcome, especially from the indoor shots as I was only using the built-in flash.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

1a. I wanted to go for a high key, soft focus look, but they wanted a B&W kiss shot, so 1b is what I produced. I tried to do the soft focus and couldn't make it look very good, any tips? :)
IMG_1418.jpg

1b.
IMG_1418BW.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

I like the first two and #4. I have to say that #3 is an unflattering pose for this particular bride.

well 1b works for me. in 2, next time consider putting the brides hand on top. as it is apparent that the groom did not spring for a manicure :) (usually the bride does, and you should show it off ) i agree that there may have been some better posing options in #3. but you dont' know until you try.

you are right, the on camera flash was not enough....especially on the cake shot. i usually bounce off the ceiling or walls for a cake shot.

i think 1b is the strongest. they should be very pleased.

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it

Some good things here...some not so good, but I think you know that. Obviously, the built-in flash makes for flat lighting. If you are going to be shooting wedding, you will want a better flash.

The hands/rings shot is a nice idea, but as mentioned, always have the bride's hands above his. Actually, most people don't have photogenic hands, if you had asked them to take off their rings, you could have made a nice shot with just the rings on the certificate.

As for the B&W shot, looks like you did a fair job of saving it, as the color version is pretty underexposed. Try adding 'Diffuse Glow' to the B&W version, and see what you think of it.

Keep in mind I'm no preffessional wedding photographer but I love when people tell me what they think I could have done a little differently so I can keep an open mind the next time and see what happens. :)

In number one the background seems awfully bright but I think you are saying that is what you are looking for there. Did you meter the sky for that? Whe I do that by accident it makes my subjects dark, it's why I ask.
I like the black and white one
Number two is neat. Like others said maybe the brides hand on top and I was thinking maybe even angle it so both names showed?
I liek the idea of number three but I see those benches there. Maybe could stand on one of those and look down on the bride form a different angle. It's a very flattering position in most instances. In fact I really only like my own pic taken form that angle. :)
I'd say a different angle too on the cake one so thier arms aren't right in front and kind of looking enlarged by the closeness of them to the lens. ;)
And the last one is cute!
Like I said I dont know too much about htis stuff but as a viewer of the photos these are things i notice and I personally like when someone tells me what I can do differently with mine. Looks like it was a lovely wedding!

Some good things here...some not so good, but I think you know that. Obviously, the built-in flash makes for flat lighting. If you are going to be shooting wedding, you will want a better flash.

The hands/rings shot is a nice idea, but as mentioned, always have the bride's hands above his. Actually, most people don't have photogenic hands, if you had asked them to take off their rings, you could have made a nice shot with just the rings on the certificate.

As for the B&W shot, looks like you did a fair job of saving it, as the color version is pretty underexposed. Try adding 'Diffuse Glow' to the B&W version, and see what you think of it.
I did add Diffuse Glow to the B&W, I'll try with some different settings next time :)

You know, the rings & certificate probably would've indeed made for a nice shot, I'll keep that in mind if I do another wedding. And yeah, I'll definitely have a hot shoe flash before I ever do one again, just couldn't afford to buy one and this was a free gig.

Thanks Mike

JimmyJaceyMom, I do have the cake shot from other angles, this is just the only closeup of the cutting I did, and the one I liked best as it shows the actual cutting. I also have another of the hands on certificate that shows both names, but again, I prefered the close up, which is why I showed it.

Thanks for the input though, appreciated :)

You did a nice job for the first time. I believe all of the shortfalls have been mentioned already, but I also want to compliment you on being able to focus in low light, which usually takes some practice.

Don't glow it. There is no reason to. It's a nice photo. Maybe "dodge" the couple really lightly. Then give it a midway sharpening.

You did what I am always guilty of doing....chopping stuff off. Try not to if possible. On the current photo, I would advise touching up the hands a bit.

You have the right idea here. You always shoot a larger person from above if possible. There are two problems though. Your apeture wasn't deep enough, and the face is out of focus. Also, you are not high enough. The pose isn't bad, but a larger bride is always better when shot sitting, from above the head. Still nice photo though.

Wrong place at perfect time. You needed to be furthter back and to the camera right.

Great display of handling low light situations. One nit though....what does the guy on the right have to do with the photo? Nothing. Crop him out as much as possible so the focus is where it needs to be.

Did Good!

Photo 3 I didn't choose the pose, the bridesmaids had set her up like that while I was off shooting some photos of the groom and best man. I didn't choose most of the poses, nor did I have any thoughts on how to do them better. I'm thankful for all the comments thus far, especially the ones that are helpful for poses, that's my main problem (aside from the built-in flash :p )

I'll post a couple more, and maybe a few edits.

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

8. First Dance
IMG_1542.jpg

9. Eating of the cake
IMG_1515.jpg

10. Different cutting of the cake shot
IMG_1507.jpg

11. Different angle for bride pose (I know, needs to be higher, but this one is more focused and correctly exposed)
IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

14. Full detail shown for rings & certificate
IMG_1343.jpg

I also editted #5 above to crop out the man, as suggested. Thanks :)

Last one is a much better edit.
As stated above, I know the sucky poses weren't your fault. But when you are in control soon, be in control.
Still a very nice job. This isn't a cut. I don't give wedding praise lightly.

Thanks Elsa :) I didn't think it was a cut, was just saying. It was so hectic that day, everyone and their dog had cameras and were trying to get people to look this way and that. I think I prefer sticking to wildlife :p It was a great experience though, I took over 500 pictures, got a lot of practice doing portraits and candids, that's for sure.

What I'm still amazed about is the fact that my battery lasted for 500+ photos, especially with heavy use of the flash.

Look, I have very little patience when I think a wedding photog messed something up.
You didn't......but you could have done better. My comments were meant to help you improve your craft. Hell, I get improvemen tips everyday....just means someone thinks you have a future.
So don't get defensive....just trust. We like you and that's the reason we try to help you grow.

Most reactions

Back