My First Yashica TLR!

camperbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I have just acquired a truly lovely Yashica 635 after a lengthy and exhausting search for one in pristine condition. I have noticed however, that the dial knobs (aperture/shutter control wheels) don't appear to be original. I believe they are genuine Yashica, just not the right ones for this model; is this correct? Perhaps someone can shed some light on this... were these black plastic radials ever standard equipment on a 635? If they are not original, how difficult would it be to find the correct knobs? Silver ones would look sooooo much nicer! Or would I in fact have to buy another 635 to swap the parts? (Yikes!) Perhaps someone on this fine forum has extra knobs they might consider selling?

I am assuming that a lens hood is quite essential. Are the generic (ie Ebay) plastic ones a fairly suitable substitute, or am I better to pay a rather princely sum to get the real deal? (keeping in mind the fact that my fixed disability pension prevents me from being in the same league as Thurston Howell III)

This camera did not come with a case, and after pricing some online, I am admittedly getting a bit worried. My gosh, I saw some cases for over $200! Any and all advice/tips/suggestions regarding my beautiful new camera would be very much appreciated. This is all very new to me. If there are sources out there for things like dial knobs, cases, filters, hoods, etc, perhaps some of you can pass this info on to me.

As you can well imagine, I am very anxious to start shooting with this gem of a camera. As it is not yet even in my possession, I can only hope that it is mechanically as pristine as its appearance. (I have been assured that yes, it is indeed mechanically mint... though we all know that this may be wishful thinking) I should have it in my hands within a week or so, and I'll report back with my findings. In the meantime, any things in particular that I need to look for?

Finally, I wonder what is considered a fair price for a camera like this. Assuming that it is mechanically fine, what would one generally expect to pay for this? (I paid about $100; included was a complete 35mm kit, hand grip, manuals, original lens cap, cable release, and some other odds and ends)

Thanks,
Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

578931132_obscreen.jpg

66 Models

Hmm, the 635 that I have (mostly parts) has chrome dials.

Yashica TLR's have odd pricing ... it can vary a lot. $100.00 seems like a fair price for what you got.

Hmm, the case should not cost that much.

Check the slow shutter speeds.

Replacing the wheels is not an easy thing to do ... it requires a lot of dissembly.

I opted to use a plastic Bay 1.
The asking price for branded Yashica (or Rollei, or Minolta, or ...) hoods is way too much.

Nice camera!

The control wheels on yours look like these on a Yashica Auto (a rare model) but then some Yashica Autos also had other knob styles too. I don't think I've seen a 635 with wheels like yours but they did use more than one style on that model.

Quite sick with the flu at the mment, but just wanted to post a quick thank-you for your kind replies. Very informative, thanks! More later.
Glen

It's not Asian flu, is it?

I just want to take a few moments to bring everyone up to speed regarding my recently acquired Yashica 635 with the unusual control dials.

It turns out that my camera may well be quite rare. Three authorities on vintage cameras (from England, Australia and USA) are convinced that these black radial control dials are in fact factory installed, after comparing/analyzing the serial numbers of both the body and lenses. They are in agreement that there were likely never many more than perhaps a handful of 635's that ever left the factory with these knobs, in all the years the 635 was produced, and that quite possibly mine may indeed be the only one known to still exist. It remains unknown just how valuable this makes it. A noted photographic historian will only add that "... a camera this rare would most certainly fetch a substantial sum from a serious collector. The fact that this camera is in such pristine condition after 54 years, and includes the intact 35mm adapter kit and flash grip, assuredly makes it even more collectable". Rather astonishingly, I have been advised to:

- not use the camera at all
- make sure that it gets adequate insurance coverage asap
- keep it securely locked in a humidity-controlled cabinet

Sheesh, I bought it to use and that's what I intend to do! I will just be very careful with it! I absolutely love everything about my 635, and it would take an awfully big truckload of money to ever pry it from my hands! I am dumbstruck at the notion of it being quite valuable simply because it has different knobs. How silly is that? And to think that I originally was wanting to change the dials to the silver ones!

Anyhow, while I await the arrival of my shipment of 120 roll film from the USA, I am running some 35mm (Ilford Delta 100 Professional) through the camera to get more familiarized with it. (gotta love a twin format camera!) Here are a couple photos of my beloved 635, taken yesterday.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland: about my photography:

DSC01631a900pix.jpg

DSC01615aselcol800pix.jpg

I have been advised to:

- not use the camera at all
- make sure that it gets adequate insurance coverage asap
- keep it securely locked in a humidity-controlled cabinet

Sheesh...

Sheesh, indeed! I had to laugh.

Have you given any thought to purchasing a second 635 to, you know, actually take photos with? Seems kind of silly, I know, but geez.. If I was in your position, and the camera was likely to net a lot of money at auction or sale, I'd probably consider selling it. Congratulations ...I guess. :)

A noted photographic historian will only add that "... a camera this rare would most certainly fetch a substantial sum from a serious collector."

IMO it may fetch more than an ordinary 635 but not enough to warrant his recommendations about a humidity-controlled cabinet, insurance, etc.

Well, that's really neat!
But I'd still use the camera :)

The insurance bit is good advice, but might be tough to get the coverage if the actual value of the camera is undefined.

A noted photographic historian will only add that "... a camera this rare would most certainly fetch a substantial sum from a serious collector."

IMO it may fetch more than an ordinary 635 but not enough to warrant his recommendations about a humidity-controlled cabinet, insurance, etc.

Maybe he was thinking another 50+ years from now....

Not sure about the special cabinet and whatnot but you could definitely buy another one to use and see what happens.

No one thought these cars would be worth what they are today....

Top 10 value gaining muscle cars

Last edited:
I'd take it to a legitimate antique camera appraiser before you get too crazy...

If you're only talking maybe double or triple what you paid for it, I'd just use it and enjoy it; maybe even carry my nose a little high in the air when around other Yashica shooters. :p

If it was worth SUBSTANTIALLY more, I personally would sell it to a collector who will appreciate it for what it was. They can baby and pamper it for the rest of it's life, where as I would eventually beat it into dust while I was out using and enjoying it.

If it's worth a premium, sell it and buy a truck load of TLR's! :wink:

Maybe he was thinking another 50+ years from now....

Not sure about the special cabinet and whatnot but you could definitely buy another one to use and see what happens.

No one thought these cars would be worth what they are today....

Top 10 value gaining muscle cars

I don't think any Yashicamat will ever be worth more than $500, but why knows, the TLR market is just crazy and WAY unpredictable. Way worse than the 4x5 SLRs, which are also very unstable.

15 years ago, the Yashicamat 124G's were going for like $120, and the Mamiya C-series $600-900+ depending on the model.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your comments and input; much appreciated!

Just for the record, I have zero interest in selling this camera, nor does it matter to me whether it is worth a couple hundred dollars or a small fortune to a serious collector. I bought it to shoot with, and I started this thread because I find the story behind it quite interesting, and I hope others do also. After speaking with people who are up on such things, I do believe it is likely worth more than before it was known to be... unique, but I'm not planning to sell it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

But having said that, for those who suggest that even a possibly one-of-a-kind Yashica TLR could never be worth more than $500, I have been offered three times that amount, (that makes two people in as many weeks who were willing to pay a ridiculous amount for an old Yashica 635)... meanwhile a third fellow, a Yashica collector in Britain, has written to say "I'll pay you whatever you want for it". Like anything else, I guess it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Frankly, I think the whole thing is a bit silly. I adore the camera, and I hope to use it for many years, but to me it's still just a camera; mind you, a very nice one. But it certainly isn't going to be housed in any locked, humidity-controlled cabinet. (my other cameras would get jealous!)

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back