My friend, Willie

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't remember how many decades ago I met Willie - a few. He's one of those immediately likeable kinda guys. Always had a smile, even through all the tough times he's been through. I hired him as a laborer at one time, but had to fire him. Unlike a lot of people I've fired over 35 years in business though, he never had a bad word for me and always seems to be happy to see me. I drove through the trailer park where he lives yesterday, looking for pictures, and I saw him sitting on his porch. He didn't recognize me right away when I pulled into a parking spot belonging to his neighbor. He was about to tell me to move my car when he saw it was me. I had my camera ready when I got out and started hitting the shutter button.

Nikon D810, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD at 70mm, f/2.8, 1/125s, ISO 64.
willie-hamilton1505-02-x1080.jpg

Your C&C welcome, as always.

Jim

And the first thing he said was "Why in the heck are you taking my picture?!" :)
Great shot!

Shot is great but the processing has caused lots of sharpening halos.
When I check the original RAW file, there is some of that haloing you see. The edited image had sharpening to 70 (LR CC), which neither increased nor decreased the halo around his skullcap and ear. I see no haloing on his arm. After going over every slider and setting in LR, I can't seem to change the haloing effect. Any idea what else could cause or reduce that halo effect?

Evil spirits?
Perhaps the default input sharpening in your raw converter is turned up too high?
RAW converter? Sorry, I have no idea what that is. I shoot only in RAW (.NEF), transfer directly to ACDSee 18 for the initial sort, then import into Lightroom 6/CC 2015, where I did all of the developing. I edited in Photoshop CC 2014 only to add my watermark and save 2 sizes of the picture to .JPG (full-size/full rez and resized for the web).

Jim

Assuming that ACDSee does not add anything to the nef, the file should be the same as the original after the sort and cull.
When you open in LR, LR does a conversion to a viewable file and uses the same Adobe Raw Converter as PS.
If there are no presets and you don't do any sharpening in the develop module, I can't imagine where the halos come from.
Where do you do the B&W conversion?

upload_2015-5-14_20-48-12.png

Assuming that ACDSee does not add anything to the nef, the file should be the same as the original after the sort and cull.
When you open in LR, LR does a conversion to a viewable file and uses the same Adobe Raw Converter as PS.
If there are no presets and you don't do any sharpening in the develop module, I can't imagine where the halos come from.
Where do you do the B&W conversion?
I've heard no reports of ACDSee making any changes to a RAW file. When importing into LR, my setting is the same as in your screen grab: None. I have a feeling the halo may be a result of the captured image and the shadow clipping. I tried a re-edit, shown below. It didn't get rid of the halo, but it is a better result, I think.

willie-hamilton1505-02a-x1080.jpg

When you look at the file in ACDsee, are the halos there?

(And you can't see a RAW file unless it is translated into a viewable format.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back