My friend, Willie

This is odd.
So LR is doing something in the raw conversion
A screen grab of the LR input should look the same as this above.

This is odd.
So LR is doing something in the raw conversion
A screen grab of the LR input should look the same as this above.
No. In fact, there looks to be a green border around the skullcap. See below.

willie-test2.jpg

PS: I really appreciate you working through this with me.

I'm sitting in a hospital waiting to see my wife so can't see much on the iPad.

Since you see a green line, perhaps there is some chromatic aberration that becomes a halo in the bw conversation.
I'd love to play with this a bit if you send me the raw file.
I will pm my email.
(This is fun)

Lew

I thought chromatic aberration happened on vertical lines. I tried to increase the Amount slider in the color tab of the Lens Correction panel, but it isn't possible to alter those settings for B&W. When I switched to a color version of the image, moving the amount sliders did seem to have some effect, although it disappeared as soon as I switched back to B&W.

Lew downloaded the RAW file to play with and sent me this personal message.
The_Traveler said:
Somewhere in the LR process, the halo got added, probably in the sharpening.
Because there is a semi-wide OOF edge on the cap, perhaps that's where.
It might be a good idea to mask out any oof areas that aren't meant to be sharpening.
I didn't use PS to process the image. I know there is a mask tool in the LR sharpen area of the Details panel, which I used, but didn't (maybe couldn't have) use it on the cap. I probably should have skipped that panel altogether, since the shot was taken at ISO 64 and there was no noise to speak of. And at f/2.8, I shouldn't have used sharpening on anything but his face. I probably could have done that with the Radial Filter tool.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this, Lew.

This is a re-edit and there is a small perception of a halo around his head but this is a kind of optical illusion (I think) caused by the difference between vignette and the background.
At 300%, a pin-point sampler tool shows only slight variation in luminance until it gets to edge of hat.

No thanks needed, JM.
You seem to be a good guy and this was an interesting issue.
So much of what happens in PS is a mystery to me.

Lew

6 willie-hamilton1505-02endll.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back