My Girl in Scarf for C & C

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been working on using flash for fill light this past week and it's been completely screwing with me. I don' t even know anymore when I used the flash and when I didn't. Is there somewhere that tells you if your flash fired or not in the exif? Some pictures it's obvious, but others I'm not sure.

Anyway, here are a couple for c & c...

Pic #1 : f/5.6, 1/250, ISO 500 @ 58mm w/a 24-105 f/4L lens

Judging by the shutter speed set at 1/250, I'm assuming my flash fired, but at this distance, it didn't light my subject much...I still have blown out spots in the sky and on the fence...:irked:

EMScarf2.jpg

Pic #2: I know the flash fired in this shot because of the lights in her eyes, but I still have blown out sky..any suggestions? smaller aperture? :scratch: Here is the info I have:

f/5.6, 1/250, ISO 500 @ 50mm w/same lens

EMScarf4.jpg

Pic #3: I took my girl back outside after dinner and shot this last picture, no flash. The lighting was better, but only was able to shoot a few until total meltdown with little sister and session was over..so frustrating!!!

f/4, 1/640, ISO 800 @50mm w/same lens

EMScarf5.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

I like the 3rd one. Maybe darken it a little and add a small vignette.

The first 2 are ok, but the background seems a bit bright in comparison to the subject. Eyes are drawn to the brightest part of the picture.

Do you have your flash info (Power distance etc.)? To bring your ambient down, you need to up your aperture. You max sync speed is most likely going to be around 1/200th so the only way to bring your exposure down beyond that is through a high f-stop. I'd recommend exposing for your ambient lighting, add your flash and adjust your flash's power/distance to balance with the ambient exposure.

If you're shooting with a raw flash, you may want to invest in a diffuser at the minimum to reduce the harsh effects of the hot flash. Umbrella kits are going for decent prices too if you can get your subjects to stay in one place :). Also get a 2x3' foam board from the craft store to use as a reflector. that would allow you to balance some of the shadows you get with the bright lighting and can act as a bounce for your flash if you want to diffuse it. Best $3 you can spend to work with/without your flash.

For me, it's taken a lot of shoot/evaluate/readjust, but when you finally get the key ingredients all right, it is very rewarding. These aren't really that bad though in terms of lighting, you do have some focus issues on the first two, but the third looks nice.

Do you have your flash info (Power distance etc.)? To bring your ambient down, you need to up your aperture. You max sync speed is most likely going to be around 1/200th so the only way to bring your exposure down beyond that is through a high f-stop. I'd recommend exposing for your ambient lighting, add your flash and adjust your flash's power/distance to balance with the ambient exposure.

If you're shooting with a raw flash, you may want to invest in a diffuser at the minimum to reduce the harsh effects of the hot flash. Umbrella kits are going for decent prices too if you can get your subjects to stay in one place :). Also get a 2x3' foam board from the craft store to use as a reflector. that would allow you to balance some of the shadows you get with the bright lighting and can act as a bounce for your flash if you want to diffuse it. Best $3 you can spend to work with/without your flash.

For me, it's taken a lot of shoot/evaluate/readjust, but when you finally get the key ingredients all right, it is very rewarding. These aren't really that bad though in terms of lighting, you do have some focus issues on the first two, but the third looks nice.

I sat down last week on a bright sunny day and played around shooting the same scene over and over adjusting just the aperture, then the ss until it kind of made sense what each does with a flash. I found that if I set the fastest ss (1/250) and use a small aperture, it was pretty good. Then I went out yesterday with the kids and my perfect formula didn't work. It was still too dark, so I had to adjust the ISO...worked for a while then the kids would move into a different environment and I would adjust all of my settings again...missing shot after shot.

Anyway, I was so obsessed with ss, aperture, iso that I forgot that I could adjust my flash's output...duh!! Ok, so one more thing to think about!!

I do have a reflector, but it's impossible to use when the kids are moving around and without someone to help hold and adjust it. I also have a diffuser on my flash and I always bounce it when I am indoors (or have a suface to use).

Ok, back to practicing...Thanks again for your input.

I think they are lacking a little contrast and color saturation . As far as the flash goes I just got one my self took a while to figure out. Have you tried reading online or a book on it?

Shame they are blown out. I agree with some contrast/darkening/saturation. Just a little, I think. I can't help with the technical side of lighting/flash. I have yet to use supplemental lighting. *scared* (one thing at a time :))

The shots are great though. The first looks like its right out of a clothing advert. She looks like a natural. I don't know her, so you could tell me if that captured her personality like it seems to have.

Keep shootin' :thumbup:

I would lower the ISO to 100 and use more power from the flash instead of doing high f. for the first few takes. If it is too dark from the back, you could higher the ISO to 200 and play with the f. afterward. Hope that helps.

Kcc

Sorry, I don't have any technical advice to offer! I wish I did and I'd like to know a good solution, as I hope to do children's photography. As far as composition, coloring, etc. (aside from dark and light spots) they look awesome! Such a cutie!

I think they are lacking a little contrast and color saturation . As far as the flash goes I just got one my self took a while to figure out. Have you tried reading online or a book on it?

Thanks for your input. I've read the manual and I've been reading through the Strobist and Neil van Niekerk blogs. I'm pretty confused by most of the material, but I've been experimenting and asking questions here. Each time I go back and read through these blogs/tutorials, it makes better sense.

Shame they are blown out. I agree with some contrast/darkening/saturation. Just a little, I think. I can't help with the technical side of lighting/flash. I have yet to use supplemental lighting. *scared* (one thing at a time :))

The shots are great though. The first looks like its right out of a clothing advert. She looks like a natural. I don't know her, so you could tell me if that captured her personality like it seems to have.

Keep shootin' :thumbup:

Thanks for the compliments on the daughter. I usually have to bribe her to model for me. She is pretty reserved..not in the least bit sassy like her little sister, but much more slow and easy going..a model which suits me best right now!

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Sorry, I don't have any technical advice to offer! I wish I did and I'd like to know a good solution, as I hope to do children's photography. As far as composition, coloring, etc. (aside from dark and light spots) they look awesome! Such a cutie!

Thanks!! Hopefully, one day it will all come together for me..and for you too ;)

Most reactions

Back