My girl...

MightyLeeMoon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.transmissionfields.com
Just a couple of my fiance from a recent camping trip...

Erin-01.jpg

Camping-Erin-04-2.jpg

I like the first one, although I think I'd rather get more of the soft effect from using a fast lens (1.2 or something) than relying all on digital diffusion, because an element of it looks a bit too digitally processed.

The second one is nice but really need rid of that canvas effect. Her face is the only illuminated part so it's difficult to see the effect on anything else, so it starts to come down on her complexion.

Nice framing and lighting though.

Thanks!

These were taken with the 1.8 50 mm lens. The first one I softened in Photoshop by duplicating the image...blurring the bottom layer...and setting the opacity on the top layer to about 85%. Maybe I should come back on that a bit.

But...about the 1.2 thing. I'm assuming that means throwing more of the pic out of focus? (I've been doing this a while...but still am a noob when it comes to proper technique and the learned aspect of the art.) :blushing:

The second one wasn't a canvas effect. I just desaturated it and put a boat load of contrast into it...which caused her forehead to have that texture to it.

Thanks!

These were taken with the 1.8 50 mm lens. The first one I softened in Photoshop by duplicating the image...blurring the bottom layer...and setting the opacity on the top layer to about 85%. Maybe I should come back on that a bit.

But...about the 1.2 thing. I'm assuming that means throwing more of the pic out of focus? (I've been doing this a while...but still am a noob when it comes to proper technique and the learned aspect of the art.) :blushing:

The second one wasn't a canvas effect. I just desaturated it and put a boat load of contrast into it...which caused her forehead to have that texture to it.
Is that 50mm on a full frame camera? To be honest I'm knit picking, you could probably leave it as it is and it would be fine.

As for the second picture, I just find that the contrast changes you've made doesn't really do much for her complexion, although, I'm not sure what the intent was so... (if it was meant as a glamerous model picture or something deeper)

I'm not sure what you mean by a full frame camera. I shoot with a D50 and I was using that 50mm 1.8f lens.

I believe I had the f-stop all the way down and adjusted the shutter speed to level out the meter.

I'm all for knit picking type stuff...figure it's how I'm going to learn more about this trade...especially after so much time away from it.

The later photo...I was going more for a gritty beauty type of thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by a full frame camera. I shoot with a D50 and I was using that 50mm 1.8f lens.

I believe I had the f-stop all the way down and adjusted the shutter speed to level out the meter.

I'm all for knit picking type stuff...figure it's how I'm going to learn more about this trade...especially after so much time away from it.

The later photo...I was going more for a gritty beauty type of thing.
By full frame I mean a 35mm sized cmos, like in the canon 5d or d700, the larger the sensor the less depth of field. Check out David Baileys work, he uses stupidly fast lenses and creates a really shallow depth of field images even in outdoor brightly lit scenes (by using the highest shutter speed and/or nd filters) The golf course image in particular.

http://www.davidbaileyphotography.com/

I like the blurred background in the first image, but think the face is a little too blurred, for my liking anyway. Also I'm not sure if you've applied any diffusion but it's slightly distracting how the top half of the face isn't as bright as the bottom half. It takes the attention away from the eyes (or eye lids).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back