My Girlfriend and I

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by RubyMagic, May 27, 2008.

1. RubyMagic

RubyMagic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    As many of you all know, I have been working (VERY HARD) on my portrait skills. Over the weekend I found a farm (which I didnt hesitate to tresspass on), and I decided to stop and take some photo's with my girlfriend (who is a photographer as well).

Tell me what you think! Dont be afraid to get harsh!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shibby!

Shibby! TPF Noob!

I like the car shots best. The lighting is good, the subject (g/f) seems to be having fun and is casual, and the car adds an interseting background. I like the car, and your g/f is cute. haha.

Few things to note if you want:

1) Adding a simple boarder really improves the look of your images when posted on a forum with white background.

2) If you don't have a light, try to work the natural light. In 1/2, there simply isn't enough light and the pictures are under exposed. Your camera is metering the bright sky and darkening you guys. Spot meter will help, but you'll have a blown out sky. You can do do multiple exposures if you can hold the pose then stitch or add a fake sky.

3) Cropped body parts. You can use this to your advantage or not. I have mixed feelings on the last few pictures. Some are good, some I think are cropped a bit too much. Either way, they need some light work, but are a decent start.

4) Lastly, I love wide angle shots like the car. I like the added distortion, but maybe remember that longer focal lengths flatten the image. Steping back futher and zooming in might have helped with the last few shots (70+mm w/ crop factor)

3. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your GF is really cute. I like the ones of her sitting on the cars as well. I think with a little post processing they could look good.

I would be happy to give one a whirl if you say its ok...

4. KristinaS

KristinaS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In addition to the aforementioned things, I'd also recommend watching for stuff in the backgrounds. In the car shots, there are a few random poles around that I'd maybe clone out or something. I do like the car ones best, though.

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looks reasonably good, the only thing that hasn't been mentioned but annoys me is the compressed dynamic range in each photo. In the process of lightening and darkening various photos they appear to have completely lost contrast.

6. schumionbike

schumionbike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the 5th one the best due to the interesting composition and I really like the lighting in that one. btw, it would help if you number your pictures so I don't have to count, lol.

7. Shibby!

Shibby! TPF Noob!

I do agree, they don't have much depth in colour, but I think it goes well with the picture? Different yes, but different isn't always wrong.

8. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you should probably ask before you start trespassing on people's property.

having said that. i like the ones of your girlfriend because there is actually some framing and composition. the ones of you two just dont seem very captivating

9. Shibby!

Shibby! TPF Noob!

Got RubyMagic's permission to edit one of his photo's.

After playing around for 10 minutes this is what I came up with. Not sure if it's overkill, or if the look goes with the photo. Either way, I think I like it. Just wish her face wasn't blown out.

[​IMG]

I really like #4 as well, but I don't think my cloning abilities would be good enough to remove the power poll without looking edited. I wish more of the front of the car was in there, but I think seeing the feet would ruin the pose... Hum.. it's a toss up.

10. lessthan3.

lessthan3. TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    to the OP, nice shots :)

and to the edit, whatever you did makes it look like a hdr image :) i love it...if i can ask, how did you achieve that effect with just a 10 min edit?

i love it.

and also one more thing to the op, you listen to emarosa? i love the old music...i cant stand the new stuff at all :(

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The subjects are underexposed in most the shots and the shots are dark overall, even the one where you overexposed the subject. They're not something I'd ever give to a client.

12. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    as it looks you are in much better control of the light and exposure when you are not in the shot yourself. I suggest you take your meter readings while behind the camera, set it to manual and leave it set as it is, then enter the scene and take the shot with those settings.