My Girlfriend at the Farm.

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by AverageJoe, May 25, 2009.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

28mm F2.0 1/1600 ISO 400 shot in RAW. Critque.

2. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your GF looks much better than that poor barn, I think I would have used a narrower DoF with this one, that's my only real issue with it.

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Her face is a bit dark and I don't think you got it in focus. Could just be my monitor.
    The pose is a mix of angry and happy, with the arms crossed.

I would like to have seen a closer zoom.

Nice choice of location. Did you get any others in the area? Either of her or of just the barn?

4. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Out with the old and in with the new!

I like the shot. Whether it would have worked better with less dof, or even more, I'd have to see it before I could form an opinion. Nice lens, that's for sure.

5. You have all the elements, but it's not quite clicking together yet. The weather is lovely, you have shade from a lush tree, the barn is cool, and your gf is attractive.

Her pose seems somewhat closed and defensive, no two ways about it. The arms crossed and pressed in is somewhere between "I'm chilly" and "you're a creep."

On a technical note, the color balance seems to lean too far into the green. You should adjust her skin tone... Just that might go a long way to making it a little more inviting.

Compositionally, I wish it had more of that branch from above, an a little more of her as well. Part of the problem might simply be that you're shooting down at her. Don't be lazy, drop a knee and shoot her from her shoulder level, or possibly even belly-button. It's more flattering. It would also allow you to get more of the barn and less of the floor... and more of the branch I crave for.

I think the DOF is perfect. She is isolated from the background, but it is possible to recognize the features and state of the building.

...and a fill light from camera left might have been nice, and possibly a reflector front-right-low, but that's just my current obession getting the best of me ;-)

6. johngpt

johngpt No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I echo TiredIron's cogent analysis.

She's exposed quite nicely for the ambient light. A reflector would create some highlights on her great bone structure, and also some catchlights in her eyes.

It would turn this very nice image into a more dynamic one.

And I understand the pose. I get the same thing from my wife when I ask, "honey, would you stand over there please?" It's that combination of exasperation and wanting to help out. :)

My wife's arms get more closed and rigid the longer I've been keeping her waiting "for the right light!" :lol: