My go at plant photography - your thoughts?

SnakeKeeper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I joined a while ago, but I didn't get the time to make many threads. Anyways, I'm on summer now and hoping to work a lot more on my photography.
In short, I am a complete newbie to photography (but hoping to learn more!); I got an HD Sony Cybershot DSCH50, mainly for shooting my snake collection, but I have found that I really enjoy shooting plants as well.

I'd appreciate constructive criticism. I know I suck.

Anyways, it was really nice outside today, so I decided to try my go at some plant photography.

Underripe cherries from our tree
DSC01445.jpg

Flower
DSC01453.jpg

Little plant
DSC01451.jpg

A few roses
DSC01467.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

And, for kicks, a few of the nicer pics I've taken of the cats.

Ira, my kitty.
DSC01089.jpg

Mist, the neighbors' kitty. (Accidentally focused on the grass blade, but it was a decent shot, considering my inexperiance.)
DSC01061.jpg

Skye, mother of our current foster kittens.
DSC01529.jpg

One of the foster kittens.
DSC01549.jpg

I really liked this plant.
DSC01505.jpg

Playing around with the flash
DSC01581.jpg

DSC01579.jpg

Last edited:
"I'd appreciate constructive criticism. I know I suck."

You don't "suck," you just need more experience, like everyone here did at one time.

It is hard to give a decent critique when someone posts so many pictures in one thread, and not numbering adds to that difficulty.

So, giving a quick overall critique of your images, I would say to back off of your subjects and work on compositions that are pleasing to the eye (read up on the rule of thirds). Shots of animals and plants rarely, if ever, look good when photographed from directly above.

Okay, I added numbers.

Here are a few more I took recently, working with the Rule of Thirds.

DSC01617.jpg

DSC01618.jpg

DSC01642.jpg

13, 14, and 15 are much better! Cool snake! In low light conditions like you had there, try placing your camera on a hard level surface or on a tripod when taking the pictures to get them sharper (wont help too much if the snake is moving around, but it should help some).

Thanks! I think I'll try putting them on a table next time... they were on the floor. They were also both pretty PO'd that evening; they're better behaved in the mornings.

I think 13-15 are off on the white balance.

Grey card time?

Too many photos to comment effectively. >.<

Most reactions

Back