My grandsons at the beach....

cmauney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
039.jpg

022a.jpg

The day was really foggy. My daughter wanted the pics taken to appear as if the weather was cold, so it seemed to help that the fog moved in just as we were heading down to taken the photos. I'm taking photography classes, and upon completion would like to open my own studio, so I would appreciate any comments. Thanks....

I really like the second shot...the way they're holding hands and looking out to sea, with their shirttails hanging out. Very cute!

Definitely a cute idea.
Although, the composition isn't the greatest, and the colour doesn't seem cold, it just seems lacking.. or in other words dull.

Definitely a cute idea.
Although, the composition isn't the greatest, and the colour doesn't seem cold, it just seems lacking.. or in other words dull.
Can you offer some suggestions on what is lacking? I'm really new at this, and although I can take criticism, I would like for it to be constructive criticism.

I really like #2. :)

IMHO, the colors of the photos are a little muted and so, could use some saturation.

I like the second one a lot, even though its cliche, it probably means a lot to you/your daughter because its your own kids/grandkids!
Are you familiar with photo editing software? Is your class encouraging post processing work?

A lot of photography comes with the refinement of your post processing skills. These pictures are lacking that. The levels need adjustment, because its very gray (liek you said, it was foggy). So anyhoo.. play around in photoshop, especially learning things like levels, curves, tones, and color and contrast. This was my play on the second picture. I did the following:
unsharp mask
auto levels
auto contrast
curves
lens distortion for vingetting which is a must with this kind of photography
added a photo filter, low density sepia
I think thats it.
022a.jpg

I like the second one a lot, even though its cliche, it probably means a lot to you/your daughter because its your own kids/grandkids!
Are you familiar with photo editing software? Is your class encouraging post processing work?

A lot of photography comes with the refinement of your post processing skills. These pictures are lacking that. The levels need adjustment, because its very gray (liek you said, it was foggy). So anyhoo.. play around in photoshop, especially learning things like levels, curves, tones, and color and contrast. This was my play on the second picture. I did the following:
unsharp mask
auto levels
auto contrast
curves
lens distortion for vingetting which is a must with this kind of photography
added a photo filter, low density sepia
I think thats it.
022a.jpg
Thanks so much for your feedback. You're right; there was no post processing. Haven't gotten into that yet; is something I'm definitely looking forward to. I'll work on the things you suggested.

I can't believe that of the 140 views, I've only had a few comments. I really would like to know what you think - as long as the criticism is constructive/helpful.

As someone else said, this photo means more to me because these are my grandsons. I'd really like to frame this photo, but want it to look the best it can.

I think what KellyLindsay told you was pretty point on... I would definitly try doing some pping to them.

Also try to remember when you shoot that things don't always need to be dead center in the middle of the frame.

Thanks. I do know that the subject doesn't always have to be in the center; I just think most times, with me anyway, it's force of habit. One I'm trying to correct. I appreciate your comments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back