MY GRIPE

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really enjoy looking at some of the pictures that people put on here of all over the world but my gripe with it is that when you post a pic and want us to comment on it PLEASE ,PLEASE, include lens and camera settings. This helps out alot in giving any advice if needed.:grumpy:

I really enjoy looking at some of the pictures that people put on here of all over the world but my gripe with it is that when you post a pic and want us to comment on it PLEASE ,PLEASE, include lens and camera settings. This helps out alot in giving any advice if needed.:grumpy:

I disagree. I want to comment on the end result. It does not matter how the photographer got there. I might see a busy background that's very much in focus and my recommendation then would be to get the background out of focus. The mechanics for accomplishing that are a separate issue.

I disagree. I want to comment on the end result. It does not matter how the photographer got there. I might see a busy background that's very much in focus and my recommendation then would be to get the background out of focus. The mechanics for accomplishing that are a separate issue.

Well stated. I'm curious what knowing this information would provide? If the request is for technical help that's one thing, but aesthetically speaking the equipment is irrelevant (what impact would knowing what brushes were used to paint Guernica for example have on the viewers appreciation?)

- Randy

Last edited:
(what impact would knowing what brushes were used to paint Guernica for example have on the viewers appreciation?)

- Randy

Most of the stuff I C&C are from noobs. Like the soccer one a few days ago. Is the shutter speed too low because the lens is to slow or does the person just have no idea?

Yes, sometimes it can help. But at the same time, posters should be smart enough to know not to strip exif data.

But having that information helps me take photos more like them!!!!:lmao:

It can sometimes help but I dont think its needed for basic C&C unless they specify an issue they want to correct with the photo. Such as "Why is this image blurring!?!" or "How come its underexposed!?!?!"

Who cares? You can closely deduce the settings from the picture anyway. If the perspective is compressed and DOF is narrow and the picture is sharp it is likely shot with a long lens, wide aperture, and a sufficiently high shutter speed. Then it comes down to composition.

There's not a lot to be gained by knowing the details. If there are specific problems relating to camera settings then the advice is the same regardless of the settings:
- Image is blurry - use faster shutter.
- Image is noisy - use lower ISO.
- Image has very nasty wide perspective distortion - step back zoom in.
- Image has too narrow dof - decrease aperture size.
- Image is blue - fix your white balance.

- Image is blurry - use faster shutter.

Or turn VR on. Or use a tripod. Or learn to hold the camera steady.

- Image is noisy - use lower ISO.

Use a flash, get strobes, or buy a D700 or D3:p

- Image has very nasty wide perspective distortion - step back zoom in.

Can't argue with that one;)

- Image has too narrow dof - decrease aperture size.

Change distance to subject. Reduce focal length.

- Image is blue - fix your white balance.

Agree with this too..

I guess my point is that it's not always so cut and dried, I've read Plato's argument before and I do agree with it also, it is true that in the end the image is all that matters... But for a new photographer who MAY NOT know how various settings affect their photos, it would be nice to have the settings available.

You can't just tell a noob "here is the problem with your photo" and not tell them how to correct the camera setting to fix it, because they may not have a clue how to do so.

I think either side here has a valid argument.

Use Firefox

Install the Exif plugin

Problem solved.

most of my stuff is scanned from film, so relying on my duff memory is not such a great idea

Agoraphobic said:
Use Firefox

Install the Exif plugin

Problem solved.
I along with many others here have this habit of not making sure that my ExIF data is intact post editing.

I guess my point is that it's not always so cut and dried, I've read Plato's argument before and I do agree with it also, it is true that in the end the image is all that matters... But for a new photographer who MAY NOT know how various settings affect their photos, it would be nice to have the settings available.

I just provided some possible examples and wasn't trying to be clear cut. Situation applies to the image. The point is that when I see an image I don't need to know what settings it was shot with to comment on possible technical flaws. If the image contains a technical flaw the image will show it.

My examples would be clear cut in the context of the image. For instance an image taken from a carousel taken of the public where everything is blurry and the poster is complaining about the blur, that would be a quite clear cut shutter speed issue, where no VR or tripod can help.

Oh and flash doesn't make a high ISO image less noisy, and a D3 at ISO25600 look horrid :p I think noise => lower ISO is a pretty clear cut solution ;)

Hey i bet a D3 at 25600 is more useable than my D300 at 6400:lol:

I agree with what you're saying. I guess we can both agree that every situation is different.

Yep :)

Oh and trust me every camera at it's upper limit is nasty. The D3 just has a much higher upper limit. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back