My hasselblad shot.

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by milkshake, Jul 17, 2005.

1. milkshake

milkshake TPF Noob!

Hey all this is my first post on this site... this is a picture i took of my recently acquired hasselblad 500 EL/m. I have never shot product before and i used 2 desktop lamps and medium gloss photo paper <<<-- ghetto

critique away.

[​IMG]

2. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Hi Milkshake and welcome to the forum!

Having attempted this shot myself many times with black cameras and a white background lit by non-dedicated light sources I know just how tricky it is!

I like the fact that all the writing is legible and the leatherette side of the camera is exposed correctly to get the detail. I don't like the intrusion of the big lens at the front, as it fills nearly 1/4 of the frame with something which is a bit distracting. I'm also not sure about the lens on the camera going completely out of shot past the out of focus lens.

I'd be tempted to move a couple of inches back to get the front element of the lens on the camera, and perhaps lay the silver big lens down with main element facing the taking camera?

I'd also be inclined to add a little more depth of field as even the back of the camera is starting to blur up and this leaves the eye making rapid vertical movements between the bottom at the gap between the lenses, and the top where the white V on the prism finder draws the eye via the leading corner of the camera. This creates an artificial centre line on the picture which is an undesirable thing as none of the good stuff is on the centre line.

A technically great attempt at a darn hard subject though - well done for getting that far. If you're going to try again at this image, some people here have given excellent advice in building soft boxes and light tents to give an even white light without breaking the bank.

Lovely camera BTW, and well worth showing off in a photo!

Rob

3. milkshake

milkshake TPF Noob!

now that's a critique i can set my watch too... thanks heaps for that, helped me heaps. I'm going to go and shoot it again.

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Thanks for the thanks. If you try again, please don't forget to read this:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23315

The five guidelines are important - you've said it's a product photo, which tells me that you want to represent a product as aesthetically and accurately as possible, but it's the how which people can help with as well. If you make a note of your equipment and settings, people can really give detailed critique!

Rob

5. milkshake

milkshake TPF Noob!

ahhk, i forget the exposure and shutter... but i use a Nikon F4 with a 28-105mm zoom lense turned onto macro. I used Kodak gold 400.

6. lazarus219

lazarus219 TPF Noob!

Hey milkshake! I didnt know you'd gotten on here.

The only thing i don't like about this picture is i think the front lens is a little too big in the frame, seeing more of the hassy would be better

Lamp studio setups are always good, i use them all the time with just a few lights in my room- you can get some good stuff

did you take this is your F4?

7. milkshake

milkshake TPF Noob!

hey laz. I am going to reshoot it and have the lense lieing down instead of standing up, like rob suggested.
    I will be looking into getting a studio setup, but money is not plentiful at the moment.
    Yes it was shot with my f4