My HDR photos

I wonder whether someone is being a little provocative. I'm not sure I would call these HDR. Because the aim doesn't appear to be to simply show a full dynamic range in the shot, more to attempt to show surrealism. That would be tone mapping. Personally I'm not a fan. And being perfectly honest I'm not sure they are even hitting the spot as tone mapped images as they (to my judgement) don't really seem to be saying anything. The second one appears to have black and white in the middle of the shot.

The oven is hot, but the cookies still seem half baked to me, and I'm not one for cookie dough ice cream....
Respectful opinion very nicely expressed.

You are right! But! From the beginning I wrote that I like tbe surealistic result and this is my target. When you create something there are no boundaries. So what I do might not be appealing to some people and it's normal. And again but. There is no such a strict rule for a technique to follow. Therw os creativitt even if it is provocative. These samea are also my first efforts and ot sure that I need to improve myself. So if you have any technical advices for me in order to do it better please feel free and I will appreciate it to read a few more things to help me e eben even if tou are at the opposite direction. The sure thing is that I'll improve myself. So what say you to bake mt cookies better?

To me they look incomplete. Have you decided what you want the end result to be before you press the shutter? Even with surrealist tone mapping you still need to have a plan for how you shoot, so that it doesn't become chaotic without any definite plan. Heavy Tone mapping for me is a bit like hip hop music. Not to my taste, but I can respect the talent when it is well delivered.

To me it just feels like you don't (yet) have a plan before shooting as to what you want the final result to be.

I wonder whether someone is being a little provocative. I'm not sure I would call these HDR. Because the aim doesn't appear to be to simply show a full dynamic range in the shot, more to attempt to show surrealism. That would be tone mapping. Personally I'm not a fan. And being perfectly honest I'm not sure they are even hitting the spot as tone mapped images as they (to my judgement) don't really seem to be saying anything. The second one appears to have black and white in the middle of the shot.

The oven is hot, but the cookies still seem half baked to me, and I'm not one for cookie dough ice cream....

You are right! But! From the beginning I wrote that I like tbe surealistic result and this is my target. When you create something there are no boundaries. So what I do might not be appealing to some people and it's normal. And again but. There is no such a strict rule for a technique to follow. Therw os creativitt even if it is provocative. These samea are also my first efforts and ot sure that I need to improve myself. So if you have any technical advices for me in order to do it better please feel free and I will appreciate it to read a few more things to help me e eben even if tou are at the opposite direction. The sure thing is that I'll improve myself. So what say you to bake mt cookies better?
I think the replies are giving you advice. Tone your photo's down!! If that's what you like, fine but it seems not many of the other replies do.

If the OP likes the processing of his images, then it's up to him. As they say, there is no accounting for taste. It's more of a matter of having some direction to his images. It all depends what he wants from his images. Whether he wants to progress beyond what he is doing now. He needs to have a vision of what he wants to achieve before he takes the shot. That goes for all images, realistic or not. It just all seems haphazard to me. I don't think I will ever truly like a heavily tone mapped image, just as unlikely as I am to buy a Kanye West album. No that's probably not a very good example based on Kanye's performance of Bohemian Rhapsody at Glastonbury!

I think the OP is aware he is not where he needs to be as he is asking for advice. Surrealism isn't about there being no order. There still needs to be method in the madness.

To me they look incomplete. Have you decided what you want the end result to be before you press the shutter? Even with surrealist tone mapping you still need to have a plan for how you shoot, so that it doesn't become chaotic without any definite plan. Heavy Tone mapping for me is a bit like hip hop music. Not to my taste, but I can respect the talent when it is well delivered.

To me it just feels like you don't (yet) have a plan before shooting as to what you want the final result to be.
Well. The photos I've made HDR were not supposed to be HDR. So from a point you are right. First of all I have to create an HDR from the beginning.

I think the replies are giving you advice. Tone your photo's down!! If that's what you like, fine but it seems not many of the other replies do.

You are right about tone mapping. I have to tone done generally. I'thinking of using the exposure fusion as well instead of tone mapping and then post process in Adobe raw.

If the OP likes the processing of his images, then it's up to him. As they say, there is no accounting for taste. It's more of a matter of having some direction to his images. It all depends what he wants from his images. Whether he wants to progress beyond what he is doing now. He needs to have a vision of what he wants to achieve before he takes the shot. That goes for all images, realistic or not. It just all seems haphazard to me. I don't think I will ever truly like a heavily tone mapped image, just as unlikely as I am to buy a Kanye West album. No that's probably not a very good example based on Kanye's performance of Bohemian Rhapsody at Glastonbury!

I think the OP is aware he is not where he needs to be as he is asking for advice. Surrealism isn't about there being no order. There still needs to be method in the madness.
Your comments really helped me in the way of thinking before I take the shot. As this is my first time in HDR I'm enthusiastic on the capabilities processing. It is something that will mature inside me as time goes by like it did with normal photography. After all I'm an amateur.

By the way what is OP? I can see it under my avatar also on my profile.

Your comments really helped me in the way of thinking before I take the shot. As this is my first time in HDR I'm enthusiastic on the capabilities processing. It is something that will mature inside me as time goes by like it did with normal photography. After all I'm an amateur.

By the way what is OP? I can see it under my avatar also on my profile.

OP is original poster or original post.

Hi to all of you. After the end of my summer holidays I'd like to post another HDR try that I've made. I have taken in concern the opinions we 've exchanged and made an HDR image which is a bit over processed whith a slight halo effect but not like my previous efforts.

I'm waiting for your comments.

Skiathos Port (HDR) by Panagiotis Adamopoulos, on Flickr

The last one doesn't have an HDR look to it. Just my .02.

Because it doesn't look cartoonish, or because it doesn't look real?

that last shot looks pretty good to me, the water looks odd though.

Last edited:
That's because you don't know what hdr is.

using tapatalk.
No I do. High dynamic range. I get it. I've got books on it. I've taken hdr. I'm just saying this doesn't look it it to me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Your photos definitely have a surreal look to them which, since photography is a form of art and self-expression, if that is what you like then keep doing it! Some of them possess a similar feel to some of Trey Ratcliff's hyper post-processed photos. As for the most recent photo that you posted I see the HDR in it but you obviously scaled back on the post-processing which does give it a more believable look.

Your photos definitely have a surreal look to them which, since photography is a form of art and self-expression, if that is what you like then keep doing it! Some of them possess a similar feel to some of Trey Ratcliff's hyper post-processed photos. As for the most recent photo that you posted I see the HDR in it but you obviously scaled back on the post-processing which does give it a more believable look.
Yes. They do have a sureal look and this is what I like in HDR. I like creating images that look like they came out of another world and having in the back of my mind that the photo came from the real world. I like the other sureal dimension of things! I 'd like to see some photos of Trey Ratcliff. Id it is possible posr a link.

About the previous age I posted it was a try to create a more realistic HDR.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back