My home (long exposure)

Mattis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was back home at my parents' place last week, so I took the opportunity to take some shots of the rather flat landscape they have there.

Wind power plant by Mathias Appel, on Flickr

Wind turbines... Wind turbines everywhere.

Nice shot, what would this 'long' exposure be? Did you use any filters, or just closed the aperture?

I like it, can you tell me why you choose ISO 400 for the shot? What filter(s) were you using.

It just seems like a really bright day to be using ISO 400.

Nice shot, what would this 'long' exposure be? Did you use any filters, or just closed the aperture?
It's an exposure of 0.6 seconds, which isn't all that long. But it's more long than short in my opinion, if that makes any sense ;D

This was actually a little tricky to do. If I closed the aperture down a lot the image started to look fuzzy. But with my x1000 ND filter the exposure was so long that the blades of the turbine just vanished completely :p
So I settled for a slightly stopped down apterture and ISO 400 to get the shutter speed to around 1 second with the ND filter on. That way I still got the blur of the blades but not the fuzzy look I got at around f/16.

I like it, can you tell me why you choose ISO 400 for the shot? What filter(s) were you using.

It just seems like a really bright day to be using ISO 400.
See my answer above^^ With my ND x1000 filter the blades just completely vanished at ISO 100 and I wanted to avoid stopping down too much.

It's an exposure of 0.6 seconds, which isn't all that long. But it's more long than short in my opinion, if that makes any sense ;D

This was actually a little tricky to do. If I closed the aperture down a lot the image started to look fuzzy. But with my x1000 ND filter the exposure was so long that the blades of the turbine just vanished completely :p
So I settled for a slightly stopped down apterture and ISO 400 to get the shutter speed to around 1 second with the ND filter on. That way I still got the blur of the blades but not the fuzzy look I got at around f/16.

mmmh sounds complicated. Would you have needed the filter if you shot at Iso100? I guess there are many ways to skin a cat, what matters is the result and it came out very well imo.

mmmh sounds complicated. Would you have needed the filter if you shot at Iso100? I guess there are many ways to skin a cat, what matters is the result and it came out very well imo.
Yeah, I still needed the filter because I wanted to avoid the smaller aperture. Otherwise it just doesn't look good with my Tokina lens.
The issue was simply that it was pretty bright. Usually I wouldn't care too much and just slap on the filter and set the aperture to get an exposure of around 10 to 15 seconds. But in this case I needed an exposure of around 1 second so you can still see the blades. I did try 10 seconds, that made the turbine look like an odd looking giant stick in the middle of a field because the blades were missing^^

Neat! Looks good to me! :smile:

Most reactions

Back