My Kids

canukshutterbug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please keep in mind I'm a newbie! Feel free to comment and make suggestions, I'm here to learn.
6.jpg

Once more I am a bit unsure as how to respond now by your "Keep in mind I am a newbie" comment ... your kids are cute and these snaps are nice and the weather was lovely and the colours are great, but again also these photos are wanting in part. Do you want to hear about it?

You will always enjoy these as part of your albums later, when your kids are bigger, and you will always think back to the times when you took these fondly. Which is one very important aspect of photography.

But I take it you would like to walk the path from taking happy family snaps to photos as in "photography"? You have the eye and it is not a hard path to walk if you observe a couple of things.

One of which is composition.
If you go look at many photos of persons, you will find out that the ones that get your attention MORE are those where the person (any subject, really, with exceptions, of course!) is not in the very centre of the photo. Let the camera focus, keep the button half-pushed, then move the camera a little to compose the person a bit to the side (preferably so the eyes have room to look into, given they don't look at the camera) and take the photo.

With your little boy on the slide, though, you obviously meant the poles to be your frame-within-the-frame. Which is a good idea! I like it! With that idea in mind, also your boy in the centre works.
But ... he has no legs.
But lots and lots of room above his head...
And poles growing out of the back of his head.
The backgrounds are as important as your subject. In the course of time you will learn to quickly evaluate a scene also for its background and how it works (or doesn't) with the subject from your given point of view. Sometimes only ONE step to the side can do the trick, see?

The last is cute, very close-up, with an inclined horizon, which MAY BE a chosen element (I don't "do" inclinded horizons, but that is very subjective --- and I am old and old-fashioned, maybe that's why) ... but the light distribution is not to your little one's advantage. The cap throws a shadow across the little face, so everything else in your photo is brighter than your subject. It is a given fact, though, that our eyes are invariably drawn to bright things. Which means we aren't really invited to look at your subject (not consciously not invited but unconsciously not invited).

See what I mean?
Am I too harsh for a newbie?

Thank you for your comments, to be perfectly honest, I just wanted pics from our picnic at the park...lol. I didn't notice that the poles were "growing" out of his head until you pointed it out. If I had of stepped to the right, I would have eliminated that, as well as the people in the background...duh on my part.

Any comments on the water one??? Thats my FAV

Listen to LaFoto, she is great with her advice. ;) And she takes her time to answer anything she can that will help you.

Welcome to tpf. I learned everything I know so far here with the exception of what I have read in books. (Ones that were recommended here, ha) I still have a way to go but if you listen up and pay attention it works well in your favor! :)

You want to know about the water one and I love the water one too. Only thing I suggest is to crop it vertical to take out some of the unecessary empty space.

As far as the poles and your sons head, repositioning would work, yes but there is a search button at the top of this screen and if you put in 'depth of feild' there should be many, many posts about another methos you can use to help you out with the pole situation. ;)

Most reactions

Back