My knee is here to say "whaddup ya'll?"

cactus waltz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What I love doing in photography is to give attention to things you don't usually care about. Dying old men are poetic, flowers are beautiful. Big deal.

With that said, here is my knee:

kn.jpg

A can of coke:

cola.jpg

...and a zipper!

trja.jpg

i really can't tell it's your knee - i can barely see the coke bottle - i see no zipper. is this your intention?

Awesome avatar jonmikal! :thumbsup:

jonmikal said:
i really can't tell it's your knee - i can barely see the coke bottle - i see no zipper. is this your intention?

Sort of. I don't really care if you can see what is it as long as if you can appreciate the shape and the composition.

Even though I am an artsie type in photgraphy, I would need to think about these a bit more.

Photos (or any art) like these, need to be experienced on 2 levels I think.

1. Emotional
2. Technical

Based on that criteria for me, I would say #1 works for me on an emotional level, but looses for me on the technical side.

2&3 do not really work for me either way.

Here's why for me. 1st they are all too monochromatic. In #1 there is something in the backround that needs to be either included or left out.

2 Just does not do it for me in any respect.

3 I think if one could make out some part of the zipper itself, it would put the pic into the context that you are trying to convey with your work here, a closer inspection of that which we normally pay no attention to in our lives and their value to us.

It does not mean they are bad photos necessarily, just my thoughts.

Art and beauty and all that stuff are in all things. That is a great approach. Your composition seems good. For me the lighting and exposure is questionable. Maybe if the light had some direction.

Personally, experimenting with light and exposure (and the dreaded reshoot) has been my only saving grace in photography.

trtjazz said:
3 I think if one could make out some part of the zipper itself, it would put the pic into the context that you are trying to convey with your work here, a closer inspection of that which we normally pay no attention to in our lives and their value to us.

I think that's a great idea. I picture a man and a woman making out, but instead of the focus being on them, the focus would be on the zippers in their jackets. Something like that?

That is sort of complex for me right for now. See, I've only been taking pictures for two weeks. But it's definitely something I would want to try. For the moment, I'm practising on minimalist composition stuff. As you probably figured out.

Here's another one, a lamp hanging in my apartment:

lampan.jpg

Most reactions

Back