My lens broke :(

Ygrazi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My 18-55mm lens won't focus. The focus ring is loose even on AF mode. Seems like the lock broke or something. When I try to zoom it is either hard to turn or will make a click noise.

Can anyone recommend a good place to fix it? (I'm NY or I could ship it out) How much would it cost? Is it worth to fix, or should I just buy a new one?

My 18-55mm lens won't focus. The focus ring is loose even on AF mode. Seems like the lock broke or something. When I try to zoom it is either hard to turn or will make a click noise.

Can anyone recommend a good place to fix it? (I'm NY or I could ship it out) How much would it cost? Is it worth to fix, or should I just buy a new one?

1. What manufacturer?

2. Is it under Warranty?

3. Go to the manufacturer's web sight, look for repair section and send them a request for repair. If it is Canon they will send you a quote when they get the lens and you decide to let them fix it or not if it out of warrranty. Will cost you shipping at least.

4. If it is under warranty it is a no brainer, otherwise you need to decide.

Nikon, and no warranty. How much do repairs usually go for about?

Is it the kit lens that came with the camera?

Just buy a new one and throw the old one away, you can get one for probably 25-50 dollars on craigslist, 80 at the most. Either way, it's cheaper then a repair and you'll get a new one sooner.

Those lenses are so crappy anyway...

If its the kit lens, it will be cheaper to just buy a new one. Or used one that someone has replaced with a faster lens. You can get remanufactured ones on ebay for $100 or less (they look new). I bought one just to have right away with my D40x. All my other lenses are just D type screwdriver drive AF, and MF. I figured the $100 is not a bad deal for a "lazy" lens to have. Still have not decided on a travel lens yet.

Look at it as an opportunity to invest in a nicer zoom...

I used to own the Nikon ^^ and I can definatly vouch for it, IMO it's worth the extra cost over the Tamron.

Most reactions

Back