my lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by luvtkngpics, Oct 16, 2008.

1. luvtkngpics

luvtkngpics TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i'm just reading through something online telling about aperture and i'm noticing that 1.8 and 2.8 are the highest f stops. my lenses are 3.5-5.6 and 4-5.6, does this mean my lenses aren't good quality lenses? all this stuff is pretty foreign to me so please forgive my ignorance! any help and guidance would be appreciated.

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    not that they arent good quality.. just that they could be better... the 18-55 is a kit lens.. thus it is a mass produced lens.. so its not as good a quality as other lens'

3. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    On most beginner cameras (not that the D40x is just a beginner camera) the lenses aperture changes are you zoom in and out.

Basically, the aperture is the opening inside the lens that controls the amount of light hitting the sensor (among other things). On that 18-55, you have a max aperture of 3.5, meaning at 18mm, that little opening is no bigger than 3.5 and no bigger than 5.6 at the 55mm mark. The same is true for your 55-200.

I hope you understand my explination. Its an oversimplification but you should get the gist of it.

Also, 1.8 and 2.8 are NOT the highest f stops.

~Michael~

4. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well, yes and no... I mean 2.8 is the fastest for any zoom that I'm aware of. For a prime they go as low as 1.0 I believe. I'm pretty sure canon made a 50mm 1.0 at one point.

Also, again the 3.5-5.6 itself doesn't mean that the lens is poor quality, but it generally isn't the highest quality. The higher quality lenses usually have lower f/stops although the focal range does affect this somewhat.

5. luvtkngpics

luvtkngpics TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i kinda got the gist of that explanation. this whole thing has my head spinning really! how long did it take you guys to understand all this jargon?

so the lenses i have, what are they really good for taking pics of? and what kind of lenses would you recommend for portrait picture taking?

6. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    your lens' are good for taking pictures of just about anything... as for a portrait lens... the nifty 50

7. A4Effort

A4Effort TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just bought a nifty fifty because of a earlier thread and from what my friends have tld me. Can't wait until it arrives.

8. luvtkngpics

luvtkngpics TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the nifty fifty is the 50mm 1.8 right? does the shutter speed automatically set with that lens? and is it only good for portraits? (again, i'm sorry if these questions seem juvenile! i'm a true noob!)

9. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yes its the 50mm 1.8

the shutter speed will set automatically if your in auto mode or shutter priority... and its good for LOTS of stuff.. its an amazing lens

10. luvtkngpics

luvtkngpics TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    do a lot of professionals use this lens? or is it more for the beginners so it simplifies the process a little?

11. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its a pretty standard lens to have in your bag, professional or beginner... and thers nothing about it that simplifies things

12. luvtkngpics

luvtkngpics TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ohh i just figured since it's just the one aperture setting that it takes the guess work out of it.