my little niece in the pool

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Shocknawe, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Shocknawe

Shocknawe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

2. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pleas keep the images posted on the forum to under 800 px to the long side, It serves you little good if the viewer can not see the entire image.

3. Shocknawe

Shocknawe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    not a problem, didn't realize people still viewed low res this day and age.

4. tailz03

tailz03 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    dudddde this file is hugeeeee

5. MarkCSmith

MarkCSmith TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't really like the grain in this image, along with the harsh lighting and B&W it adds an edge that is a little off-putting in a shot of a kid having fun in the pool.

6. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IMO, there's a lot of non-contributory space in this image. I think a crop would tighten it up and get the baby's head off dead center.

[​IMG]

Lew

7. Shocknawe

Shocknawe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good point traveler, sometimes I get tunnled into thinking my subject always has to be dead center....she's not perfectly center but close enough that I know thats what was on my mind.

Marcsmith to be completely blunt, I don't really care if you like it or not the photo wasn't taken for you. Even though I'm new here I've been reading for quite a bit longer and I've seen it way to often; people commenting for C&C purposes with whether they like it or not....nobody cares! If people are looking for C&C they're looking for things just obviously jacked up to be pointed out or some tips or things they could've done to make the photo better, hense what traveler did. Hell traveler could rather wipe his ass with my b&w, maybe not his taste BUT its realized that your likes mean jack as photography to a great degree is a reflection what the photographer sees as a good moment to capture. Then yes there is the "technical" part to capturing that moment....that is where C&C comes in. "Opinions" are like a.....es everyone has one and nobody cares to much what the others is.....now if you were a client- different story; but you're not.

8. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Shockawe, you might want to chill out just a bit. If you don't want to hear negative comments then don't post. Like or dislike falls into C&C and Marc gave qualifying criticism for his opinion.

Agreed that the image would benefit from a crop. Personally I like heavier grain and high contrast, even for a child in the pool. I'd like to see the forehead burned in just a bit to recover some highlight detail.

9. :roll:

10. Carman

Carman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with SoonerBJ, I think you need to chill out a little bit. Photography is an art, not a science, so opinion and taste naturally creep into C & C. If you post your images I think you have to be prepared for the fact that the comments are sometimes going to be negative, and whether the justification is on technical shortcomings or personal taste is really here nor there.
    That said, this is just my personal opinion, and the outlook I have when posting images -- yours may of course differ :)

ANYway: I think the moment you've captured is fantastic. The expression on your niece's face is brilliant. I agree that an off centre tighter crop would work better. I also think the lighting is a little dark and harsh, although with the tighter crop it seems to look more balanced.

11. Shocknawe

Shocknawe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm trackin with what your saying, I know the post seemed I flew off the deep end when in reality I was just replying..no "spaz" intended but not being able to hear tone of voice and see facial expressions is kind of a handicap on the net.:lol: I know its bound to creep in "taste" and like dislike. In more words than less I was just simply saying I have no amount of caring whether somebody likes it or not cause our creative views dont match...comments like "tighter crop", "bring more detail out in the forehead via burning ect ect is always welcomed cause it opens eyes to things not seen before for improvement. Anyway I'm rambling again, just wanted it known that it was just a reply not so much a reaction comparable to a hormonal 16yr old,:lol: sorry to make it seem that way.

12. Shocknawe

Shocknawe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well.....

I also forget from time to time that I use an abnormal monitor so I can see oversized images in forums and what not...like I said no issues I'll remember for next time.