My M&P 9mm's...

The light is very flat, and there is glare on one magazine. Overall, I think the arrangement is pretty good. It looks as if your frame perfectly coincides with the edges of the mat. If you try this again, try some different lighting schemes.

The light is very flat, and there is glare on one magazine. Overall, I think the arrangement is pretty good. It looks as if your frame perfectly coincides with the edges of the mat. If you try this again, try some different lighting schemes.
I actually had to adjust it in post to get the mat perfectly in the frame. I'm BRAND new to flash photography. I shot it with my only flash as a slave pointed at the wall behind the photo. What could i do to improve the lighting as far as technique?

What could i do to improve the lighting as far as technique?
As you might already know, there are many possibilities for lighting. You've got the bounce flash down, so for subsequent sessions, try moving the light around different places to see what happens. Bare flash direct, flash directed at wall left or right, gels on the flash, softbox, gridded softbox, gridded hard light, and more. It's almost as much fun as shooting.

What could i do to improve the lighting as far as technique?
As you might already know, there are many possibilities for lighting. You've got the bounce flash down, so for subsequent sessions, try moving the light around different places to see what happens. Bare flash direct, flash directed at wall left or right, gels on the flash, softbox, gridded softbox, gridded hard light, and more. It's almost as much fun as shooting.
I'll give that a shot, thank you.

Aside from the lighting, I think the composition is too busy and random. You only need a handful of rounds, and I'd prefer to see the magazines oriented more in relation to the weapons.....

Aside from the lighting, I think the composition is too busy and random. You only need a handful of rounds, and I'd prefer to see the magazines oriented more in relation to the weapons.....
I thought about that but i didn't want it to look like a product ad. I was moreso after the guns being the main element and the ammo/mags as added interest.

Rather flat and busy, hard to tell what the subject is... and why not look like a product ad? I do see your Connecticut magazines there :(

Rather flat and busy, hard to tell what the subject is... and why not look like a product ad? I do see your Connecticut magazines there :(
Gotta love when 1/3 it the magazine is a hunk of solid plastic...

I think that the muzzle of each pistol should be farther to the right of the frame.The magazines are on the right-hand side of the frame, and the barrel and as far to the left creating what I think is an unbalanced and somewhat inelegant composition.Unlike Tirediron above, I kind of like the large number of rounds, but I think that one less magazine might be better. Overall, i think the compositional elements need a re-arrangement.

I would tend to agree with Derrel on this one with regard to the number of rounds. I think it adds a good amount of clutter. It would be different of it were something not related to the firearm, but as it is, it's relevant. If rearranging the layout, maybe try placing the firearms so the muzzles are pointing into the frame instead of out of it as they are, or maybe in the middle. Much like it's uneasy when a model is looking off the edge of the frame, that might have some impact here, too.

I also don't see the issue with it looking like a product ad. Product ads are meant to highlight the item they are selling, so it only serves to emphasize the firearm as opposed to the rounds or the magazines.

I would tend to agree with Derrel on this one with regard to the number of rounds. I think it adds a good amount of clutter. It would be different of it were something not related to the firearm, but as it is, it's relevant. If rearranging the layout, maybe try placing the firearms so the muzzles are pointing into the frame instead of out of it as they are, or maybe in the middle. Much like it's uneasy when a model is looking off the edge of the frame, that might have some impact here, too.

I also don't see the issue with it looking like a product ad. Product ads are meant to highlight the item they are selling, so it only serves to emphasize the firearm as opposed to the rounds or the magazines.
I will try that. The reason they face the way they are is due to where the serial numbers are, and I didn't want to get into erasing those. Though maybe I will. I thought tons of brass would make them stick out

I agree with the others on just moving the firearms to the right to give space between the muzzle and the edge of the frame, placing more of the rounds and mags to the left. There are also three rounds that are not flat on the mat, either a larger mix of not flat or all flat. It looks like a couple of the magazines are loaded with non-brass case rounds.

Overall I think it is good with the black on black and the addition of the brass cased rounds.

I agree with the others on just moving the firearms to the right to give space between the muzzle and the edge of the frame, placing more of the rounds and mags to the left. There are also three rounds that are not flat on the mat, either a larger mix of not flat or all flat. It looks like a couple of the magazines are loaded with non-brass case rounds.

Overall I think it is good with the black on black and the addition of the brass cased rounds.
Yes, the mags without the FMJ are my carry magazines. Good eye though!

Most reactions

Back