My main problem/fear as a beginner

I've heard it said that even a fool can learn by their own mistakes.
Not shooting stops you making the mistakes to learn from :)

When you think a shot might be reasonable take a shot, see if you can improve the composition & take another... Then review the shots later - try to work out what bits worked and what was wrong with those bits that didn't.
Feel free to post questions here if you need help on solving bits, especially any that always seem wrong.

I doubt there are any here who can't learn more from this approach.:icon_study:

As Cartier-Bresson said: "Your first 10,000 photos are your worst." So your objective is to get to 10,001 as soon as you can.

Glad you're starting to snap away. Tell yourself (and this is true), your objective is not to take a great picture. It is to play with your camera. So put an apple on a table. Shoot it at f2.8 (or whatever the narrowest aperture setting is on your lens). Now shoot it on your widest. Shoot it with available light streaming in from a nearby window. Now shoot it with light bouncing off a white wall or using a reflector. Now shoot it with your popup flash. Change the ISO setting and see how all of this changes (hint: low at noise or grain as your ISO # gets higher). Then take out your SD card and compare the shots, look for how the changes in aperture or light or ISO or shutter speed alter the photo. Don't decide if you "like" a shot or not, treat these as experiments--you're finding out how slow your shutter speed can be before you get blur, how harsh (or soft) particular types of light are. All you've just done with those 20 shots is "play with your camera." All of the pictures may be crap. Irrelevant. What you're doing is playing with the camera, learning how stuff works, starting to identify what may be your style as a photographer.

Most reactions

Back