My math professor

cal_gundert05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today I learned that my math class next semester will be taught by Ken Ribet--who was instrumental in proving Fermat's Last Theorem (one of the greatest mathematical achievements of the 20th century).

While Ken Ribet didn't prove Fermat's Last Theorem, he proved that if you could prove a certain case of another theorem, then Fermat's Last Theorem would follow. The guy who actually did this was Andrew Wiles.

Just thought I would mention that. :mrgreen:

Well, I just learned that my gym teacher was arrested 2 days ago for trying to get underage girls via the internet! Apparently a cop was impersonating a 13 year old girl and he went for it. It makes me sick. Thank god i graduated from there 6 years ago.

PS: He was also the wrestling coach....

Creepy old man

We watched a video on Andrew Wiles last year in math. That man (as well as I am certain your math profesor are absolutely amazing at what they do. Wouldn't ever imagine that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 could ever be so complicated eh? Now the real question, is do you really think Fermat truly knew the answer and it was 'too big to fit in the margin' or was he just pretending?

Oh hey! Was he the one that Mr. Wile's 'broke' his secret to (after what? 7 or 9 years of working on it?) Prior to presenting it at that math convention?

Peanuts said:
We watched a video on Andrew Wiles last year in math. That man (as well as I am certain your math profesor are absolutely amazing at what they do. Wouldn't ever imagine that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 could ever be so complicated eh? Now the real question, is do you really think Fermat truly knew the answer and it was 'too big to fit in the margin' or was he just pretending?

Oh hey! Was he the one that Mr. Wile's 'broke' his secret to (after what? 7 or 9 years of working on it?) Prior to presenting it at that math convention?

Yeah, I watched (probably) the same movie in math 2 years ago. But I don't know if Prof. Ribet was the first guy Wiles told.

As for Fermat's own proof, my current math prof (who told my class about Ribet) said most math historians believe that Fermat THOUGHT he had a proof, but was wrong. I don't really remember. :blushing:

I was told that he was one of those who would say "Well of course I know it, but you have to figure it out first and I will tell you whether that was it or not" Then this other person would prove it and he would respond by saying that was indeed they way he did it, when he never done it ;) Meh, we can only speculate.

There was another mathematician years after Fermat who had to get to England from the mainland. Due to the necessity of the situation, he had to take a small boat, which was pretty dangerous at the time. So this guy mailed a letter to his friend in England saying he had solved Fermat's Last Theorem, and would show him when he got there.
So he reaches England safely, and his friend asks him about the proof. The first guy (the traveler) said he didn't have a proof. He only said he did because he figured God wouldn't let him die on his trip to England because that would have given him too much undeserved glory.

*Was that in the movie?

Oh goodness that is a good tale, whether it is true or not. Some kind of joke I can hear math teachers sharing on their lunch breaks.

If you are asking if that was in the movie, nope.

Most reactions

Back