My mirror is a dust magnet

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My d3200 keeps attracting small particles of dust onto its mirror. I never take off my lens and i always keep a cloth ontop of it so dust won't gather on it when i'm not using it. I believe that this dust is caused by leaving it idle. Is there a dust free area i can create? How do you store your dslr?

Right now the only method of cleaning i have is the rocket air blower, i've ordered the dslr paint brush because its taking me hours to get one single dust particle out. It is supremely frustrating. Apox on thee you cursed camera from the very pits of hell! :madmad:

If you never take your lens off how do you blow it out? Point the lens opening down when blowing it out so that dust falls out and doesn't just land somewhere else. Dust on the mirror is meaningless, dust in other places is not so meaningless.

I quit worrying about dust on the mirror decades ago. It's a bit annoying but it will move on it's own sooner or later.

If you never take your lens off how do you blow it out? Point the lens opening down when blowing it out so that dust falls out and doesn't just land somewhere else. Dust on the mirror is meaningless, dust in other places is not so meaningless.

I quit worrying about dust on the mirror decades ago. It's a bit annoying but it will move on it's own sooner or later.
What i was referring to is that i never take it off unless i see dust in my viewfinder. I just cant stand the sight of the dust magnified hundredfolds.

If you never take your lens off how do you blow it out?

Ok, great... now there is a mental image that will likely haunt me till my dying day.. rotfl

Point the lens opening down when blowing it out so that dust falls out and doesn't just land somewhere else. Dust on the mirror is meaningless, dust in other places is not so meaningless.

Gravity, she is a difficult task mistress to say the least.

Don't keep your DSLR outside of a bag, and make sure the bag always remains closed (and make sure it's a dust-free bag). The camera isn't dust sealed, much less weather sealed.

I haven't had any dust issues with my D5200, although I think one of my lenses (35mm 1.8G) came with a spec of dust inside the actual lens itself... can't tell for sure... it needs warranty servicing anyway!

Don't worry about a bit of dust. It's gonna happen.

Dust and crap on the sensor? Spot it out in post until it gets to be too much, then buy a cleaning kit and clean the sensor.

Dust anywhere else? Don't even worry about it. It doesn't do much of anything to the pictures.

Dust and crap on the sensor? Spot it out in post until it gets to be too much, then buy a cleaning kit and clean the sensor.

Dust anywhere else? Don't even worry about it. It doesn't do much of anything to the pictures.

Ok, danger Will Robinson, danger. I do not recommend that you clean your own sensor - and if your camera is still under warranty I would strongly advise against it because it will void your warranty faster than you can say Jack Robinson. Having your sensor professionally cleaned by an authorized tech really isn't that expensive, and you avoid making a bad situation worse or even turning your camera into a brick. So even if you did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night, I wouldn't advise it.

Very good.

Don't keep your DSLR outside of a bag, and make sure the bag always remains closed (and make sure it's a dust-free bag). The camera isn't dust sealed, much less weather sealed.

I haven't had any dust issues with my D5200, although I think one of my lenses (35mm 1.8G) came with a spec of dust inside the actual lens itself... can't tell for sure... it needs warranty servicing anyway!

The bag caused me some sensor dust while i was outside the country.

Cleaning your own sensor is no big deal. It takes a few minutes.

Just don't try to improvise something, get a proper sensor cleaning kit.

It sounds like you leave the camera without a lens on it for extended periods of time?

And RAGS ARE DUSTY, btw... big time.

Your camera should only ever have a lens or a cap on it. No rags. Ever.

As others said, point camera down when changing lenses. Be sure to change lenses in most settled environments possible. (in room, no moving air)

What i was referring to is that i never take it off unless i see dust in my viewfinder. I just cant stand the sight of the dust magnified hundredfolds.

That's not dust on the mirror, that's dust on the focusing screen. Constantly blowing around in your camera actually CAUSES this...

an f/1.4 will fix it.

Ok, danger Will Robinson, danger. I do not recommend that you clean your own sensor - and if your camera is still under warranty I would strongly advise against it because it will void your warranty faster than you can say Jack Robinson. Having your sensor professionally cleaned by an authorized tech really isn't that expensive, and you avoid making a bad situation worse or even turning your camera into a brick.

Silly, alarmist and wrong.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back