My Mom went digital without a clue...

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My mother decided to buy a P&S camera yesterday. She bought an Olympus FE-210. It provided three things that were paramount for her, she could point, she could shoot and it was under $150. I looked at the review on CNET and was not impressed. She doesn't want to have to "figure the thing out". But I would like for her to have a few more creative options than the camera has to offer.

Any advice on anything better? I'm offering to kick in a little extra money, if there is a significant differences.

Canon Powershot S3 IS is an amazing camera.

My girlfriend has a Canon Powershot A560 or something...I forget...it was cheap.

Either way, the powershot cameras are good if you don't buy the cheapest one possible.

Look into those perhaps. I've seen some really good pictures come out of them from people who barely know what they're doing.

she's happy, let her be happy. It's not like she's going to be doing anything like HDR's.

but that would be neat!

I have to agree with Sw1tchFX on this... it's good that you want to share your enthusiasm for taking control over the process, but if your mother just wants to point and shoot then what's wrong with a point-&-shoot?

Both my parents used to shoot slide film in all-manual cameras without meters. These days they want something with a fixed lens that works well in everyday situations and produces some decent prints straight from the camera. They're just not into photography in a serious way now, at least not enough to buy anything more than a point-&-shoot. I'm not going to try and convert them. Personally I think if you mother wants to have more creative control then she will realise this new camera is inadequate for that... but if she just wants a point-&-shoot, why tell her she needs more?

I agree that she will probably never do more than point-&-shoot and that will be fine. What I forgot to mention about the review I read was Image Quality. Their results were all indoor shots came of very soft and yellow. Not good.

I'll have a look at the PowerShots, Sideburns. Anything else?

Ya guys, I'm sure he's fine with her P+S choice, just he feels that she was ripped off, and had she spent a fraction of the cost more she could have had a way better camera. He is only trying to make sure she enjoys her experience.

Good luck!

Ya guys, I'm sure he's fine with her P+S choice, just he feels that she was ripped off, and had she spent a fraction of the cost more she could have had a way better camera. He is only trying to make sure she enjoys her experience.

Good luck!

You got it in one.

This thread title is misleading. I thought your mom bought a camera thinking it would be a film camera only to realise it had an LCD screen and is easier to "develop"

Ya guys, I'm sure he's fine with her P+S choice, just he feels that she was ripped off, and had she spent a fraction of the cost more she could have had a way better camera.

Fair enough but we're talking about a camera under $150... if you wanted a way better camera (like the S3) it's going to be quite a large fraction more ;)

yeh... she is happy with the camera.. no reason to bring the review into the whole thing and make her feel she got ripped off for absolutely no reason.

Apparently she wasn't real happy with it. After taking some pictures with it, the camera did not want to turn off. The only solution was to remove the batteries.

We went back to the shop she bought it from and exchanged it for a Nikon Coolpix L11. Another very basic P&S which she is happy for. However, what I've read is that the Image Quality is very good and it does have WB controls. Plus, it was on sale!

Thanks everybody for your words of wisdom.

there ya go! Got her a nicer camera and now she's happy. Hopefully she takes some sweet pics and every lives happily ever after.

My mother decided to buy a P&S camera yesterday. She bought an Olympus FE-210. It provided three things that were paramount for her, she could point, she could shoot and it was under $150. I looked at the review on CNET and was not impressed. She doesn't want to have to "figure the thing out". But I would like for her to have a few more creative options than the camera has to offer.

Any advice on anything better? I'm offering to kick in a little extra money, if there is a significant differences.

I swear, Parents, You buy them books, you send them to school and this is how they turn out. They never listen, always out partying, getting into trouble, and the friends they choose well.... OH WAIT, THOSE ARE THE WAY KIDS ARE. MY BAD. :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, Glad you mom got a better camera. Just goes to show, even the oldsters don't always know what is best.

To tell you the truth, it has made me consider getting one for myself. I went to a week long workshop earlier this month and dragged my dslr around. I may have taken 20 shots in total. However, I wasn't going to leave it in the hotel room, so it shadowed me. I thought to myself then how nice it would be to have a little P&S at those times. Take a few snaps of colleagues getting drunk after hours, or even better, at the conference table the next morning. Just slip it out of my pocket, snap it and don't worry about a couple of thousand dollars and an extra 30lbs. Makes you wanna go mmmmm.

To tell you the truth, it has made me consider getting one for myself. I went to a week long workshop earlier this month and dragged my dslr around. I may have taken 20 shots in total. However, I wasn't going to leave it in the hotel room, so it shadowed me. I thought to myself then how nice it would be to have a little P&S at those times. Take a few snaps of colleagues getting drunk after hours, or even better, at the conference table the next morning. Just slip it out of my pocket, snap it and don't worry about a couple of thousand dollars and an extra 30lbs. Makes you wanna go mmmmm.

yes, I've also been considering this for future investment. One of those Powershot G9s or whatever would be amazing to just carry around...

Although...would it not be kind of embarrassing if the pictures turn out better on the P&S than on the DSLR? lol. Just a thought.

It is nice to have a lightweight camera without a super long lens on the end once in a while. I carry a kodak that I got for 15 bucks on sale like 120 off at some sale...it works well enough. It doesn't try to overcompensate for everything so I can actually get some decent pictures. Works for me when I'm at college and can't go grab the SLR.

Most reactions

Back