My Mom went digital without a clue...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by kundalini, Sep 11, 2007.

1. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    My mother decided to buy a P&S camera yesterday. She bought an Olympus FE-210. It provided three things that were paramount for her, she could point, she could shoot and it was under $150. I looked at the review on CNET and was not impressed. She doesn't want to have to "figure the thing out". But I would like for her to have a few more creative options than the camera has to offer.

Any advice on anything better? I'm offering to kick in a little extra money, if there is a significant differences.

2. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Canon Powershot S3 IS is an amazing camera.

My girlfriend has a Canon Powershot A560 or something...I forget...it was cheap.

Either way, the powershot cameras are good if you don't buy the cheapest one possible.

Look into those perhaps. I've seen some really good pictures come out of them from people who barely know what they're doing.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    she's happy, let her be happy. It's not like she's going to be doing anything like HDR's.

but that would be neat!

4. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I have to agree with Sw1tchFX on this... it's good that you want to share your enthusiasm for taking control over the process, but if your mother just wants to point and shoot then what's wrong with a point-&-shoot?

Both my parents used to shoot slide film in all-manual cameras without meters. These days they want something with a fixed lens that works well in everyday situations and produces some decent prints straight from the camera. They're just not into photography in a serious way now, at least not enough to buy anything more than a point-&-shoot. I'm not going to try and convert them. Personally I think if you mother wants to have more creative control then she will realise this new camera is inadequate for that... but if she just wants a point-&-shoot, why tell her she needs more?

5. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree that she will probably never do more than point-&-shoot and that will be fine. What I forgot to mention about the review I read was Image Quality. Their results were all indoor shots came of very soft and yellow. Not good.

I'll have a look at the PowerShots, Sideburns. Anything else?

6. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ya guys, I'm sure he's fine with her P+S choice, just he feels that she was ripped off, and had she spent a fraction of the cost more she could have had a way better camera. He is only trying to make sure she enjoys her experience.

Good luck!

7. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit

You got it in one.

8. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This thread title is misleading. I thought your mom bought a camera thinking it would be a film camera only to realise it had an LCD screen and is easier to "develop"

9. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Fair enough but we're talking about a camera under $150... if you wanted a way better camera (like the S3) it's going to be quite a large fraction more ;)

10. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    yeh... she is happy with the camera.. no reason to bring the review into the whole thing and make her feel she got ripped off for absolutely no reason.

11. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Apparently she wasn't real happy with it. After taking some pictures with it, the camera did not want to turn off. The only solution was to remove the batteries.

We went back to the shop she bought it from and exchanged it for a Nikon Coolpix L11. Another very basic P&S which she is happy for. However, what I've read is that the Image Quality is very good and it does have WB controls. Plus, it was on sale!

Thanks everybody for your words of wisdom.

12. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    there ya go! Got her a nicer camera and now she's happy. Hopefully she takes some sweet pics and every lives happily ever after.