My monitor is degrading

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by andrewcollier, Jul 17, 2005.

1. andrewcollier

andrewcollier TPF Noob!

:grumpy:
    My CRT monitor has lost its clarity and I am considering a replacement. I have looked at a review on a website saying a CRT tube starts to degrade after 3 years (mine is 4 years old) although I see many people with monitors older than mine that seem to be fine. I am considering an LCD as I have seen many reviews saying how good they are for digital imaging although not quite up to a CRT.

I have three questions:-

1. Has anybody had experience with their CRT degrading?
    2. Does anybody have any thoughts on how an LCD may degrade?
    3. I am thinking of a massive upgrade from a 17 inch CRT up to a 24 inch widescreen. (Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor.) Does anybody have any experience of digital imaging on a screen this big? I feel it would be worthwhile when working on two image files. It would also double up as a watchable TV.

Thanks

2. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

I really know nothing about monitors, except that I could REALLY use a new one! :lol: Mine has terrible contrast, is quite dark, and is shaking around the edges enough to give me a headache. I'd like to hear about crt degradation as well.

3. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have an ancient one, gotta be 6 years old now - a NEC, which has served me amazingly well. In just the last month or two, it has started to give an odd flicker, thus showing its age and I know it's on its way out. But aside from that, you'd never know it - it's still briar sharp and shows good contrast and clarity. I will hate replacing it. I'm not really interested in an LCD; the ones I've looked at fall short to what I have now.

4. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For photography and graphics, CRTs are still more accurate. You'd be much happier, and better off, buying two 21" CRTs.

5. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you get a LCD USE A SCREEN SAVER AND NEVER EVER LEAVE IT ON WHEN YOU'RE AWAY. doing so can really screw them up pretty badly

6. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

I will be getting a NEC/mitsubishi 21 inch CRT next year. They last around 5 years usually, and are a pleasure to profile.

I have a top model viewsonic LCD and I think it's unsuitable for graphics. You still get color shifts when you change the position of your head.

Cheers